Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Straitsfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Hello. Bought a new SSD 1TB from OWC and want to copy my old SSD in the MB pro 13 inch mid 2010 (7,1) to it. Went to Disk utility and am trying out a test copy with an old WD HD, but when I choose 'restore' and choose the source disk it says that the operation failed.

Not sure what to do. Anyone out there have any help they can offer?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 2.45.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 2.45.42 PM.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 152

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
download carbon copy cloner --free really simple I have used it sevaral time ...the participants of this forum will attest to the fact that if I can do it ...it must be simpel plug in copy to to copy too...done deal trial after 3 uses they want you to buy....dont do it..unload it ..and reload a fresh copy and 3 more --disk util will work but like with all things apple overly complicated with overly complex jargon..not at simple as carbon copy cloner but after you have done it once or twice ...pretty easy-

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
..done deal trial after 3 uses they want you to buy....dont do it..unload it ..and reload a fresh copy and 3 more -
Without getting into the same discussion (as in another thread) about financially supporting the software developer or not, I feel obliged to point out that I'm failing to understand why you encourage others on this Forum to act according to your own lack of ethics.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Although it's been a month, I'll answer Kees' post above.

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper are both FREE to download AND USE for 30 days.

The OP needed a way to clone the contents of one disk to another disk.

CCC can do the job, and if the OP DOES THE JOB within the 30-day limit, he has not taken anything from the software developer that the software developer did not PROVIDE HIM with at the outset. The agreement to download was to enjoy the full use of the app for 30 days, was it not...?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Superduper is FREE to use forever.
The paid version lets you do incremental updates to your clone etc.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Although it's been a month, I'll answer Kees' post above.

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper are both FREE to download AND USE for 30 days.

The OP needed a way to clone the contents of one disk to another disk.

CCC can do the job, and if the OP DOES THE JOB within the 30-day limit, he has not taken anything from the software developer that the software developer did not PROVIDE HIM with at the outset. The agreement to download was to enjoy the full use of the app for 30 days, was it not...?
I think you misunderstood post #4

The remark I made was directed to lasloduncan , not the OP.
As seen in other threads, post #3 clearly encourages the OP to "sneak through the backdoor" to avoid costs after a 30-day trial.

Definition of Trial:
- a test of the performance, qualities, or suitability of someone or something.
- test (something, especially a new product) to assess its suitability or performance.

In other words: feel free to try this software and if you like it and want to use it on the long term, please support this product/the developer by paying a small fee.
This is nothing more than a logical and fair procedure.

IMHO there are so many people out there , doing things because they can.
I'm fully aware this is not a forum for topics like ethics, and every adult person is responsable for his own behaviour.
However encouraging others to behave the same way is a different cup of tea.
The suggestion stated is clearly in the gray zone....

Should I post a link where to download cracked software?

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I'm stuck in my ways with SD...... ?
Have had the full version for years, and it serves me nicely.

Being on Mojave I havn't experienced the issues with the newer OS's and cloning.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Without getting into the same discussion (as in another thread) about financially supporting the software developer or not, I feel obliged to point out that I'm failing to understand why you encourage others on this Forum to act according to your own lack of ethics.
obvously, the more that use it the more will pay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.