Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeleethomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
I have an exhibition happening that I'd like to use both my original HomePods in stereo.

Catch is, there is a router, but no internet in the venue. So I can have a WiFi connection to the router but for them to connect to my iCloud to get them work seems impossible. I guess when I connect my phone to the router also, there is no internet connection so it can't authenticate. Tried this over 4G/5G to no avail.

Can anyone think of a work around for this?

Cheers

Mike

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Couldn’t you Airplay music from your phone to the HomePods?

Alternatively, have you determined if HomePods can access your phone’s hotspot for Internet connectivity?

And depending on the router, you may be able plug your phone into it to give all router connected devices Internet access (the Synology RT6600ax offers this and I assume others do as well)

mikeleethomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Couldn’t you Airplay music from your phone to the HomePods?

Alternatively, have you determined if HomePods can access your phone’s hotspot for Internet connectivity?

And depending on the router, you may be able plug your phone into it to give all router connected devices Internet access (the Synology RT6600ax offers this and I assume others do as well)
Seems like can only get airplay to work when both devices are on the same network.

Any thoughts on how to get HomePods to access a phones hotspot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.