Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I have a number of live photos taken on an iPhone 6s, stored in the Photos app of a Mac running 10.11.6. They work fine there.

I have migrated that photo library to a newer Mac running 10.13.6, and on that Mac the photos have lost their live-ness. They just display as an image. If I find the actual file of one of those images in the library and move it to a 10.14.x machine, it's not live there either. But if I then move it back to the 10.11.6 Mac, it's live.

Newer live photos taken on an iPhone X display live correctly on the newer Macs.

The only thing I can think of that would account for this is a change in file format. Did I miss that memo?? And if so why isn't Apple supporting old live photos?

Is there anything I can do to get the live photos into a format that will work on new Macs, or at the very least, into some sort of movie format? I think I tried exporting it as a movie from quicktime with no success, though it's been a while and I may be mistaken about that.

Thanks for any help, these photos are really important to me and I would hate to lose the video aspects.

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Hm, now that I think about it that probably relates to the move from jpg to heif. But still... what can I do about it? It's crazy that Apple could have dropped support for the old format when they moved to the new format. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.