Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
If you have a USA Apple ID, you can install the Fox News app from the App Store. Not sure if immediate payment is required or whether there is a free trial.
It’s easy enough to find a 7- or 14-day free trial. I am wondering, whether I can watch it without having to pay for it. After all, I am worth about $1/h of my watching something and having me be exposed to advertising.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It’s easy enough to find a 7- or 14-day free trial. I am wondering, whether I can watch it without having to pay for it. After all, I am worth about $1/h of my watching something and having me be exposed to advertising.
This thread is going to be closed by mods because you are asking how to steal something.

In the meantime, why you consider Fox News content not worth paying for?

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
This thread is going to be closed by mods because you are asking how to steal something.
I am not asking about ways to steal it. I am wondering, whether there are legal and legitimate ways of streaming Fox News for free.

I was prompted to do this research, because I have a client whom I persuaded to switch to an Apple TV after he had difficulties with Fire TV and Roku. I promoted the Apple TV over these other two solutions, because it has a much cleaner user interface and does not constantly try to upsell the user.

After installation he told me about how he used to watch Fox News for free (either through Roku or Fire TV) but could not remember how it was set up. Knowing that he is not a cable or streaming TV subscriber, it led me to believe that there must be ways to watch Fox News for free, on the Apple TV, as well.

As long as no one posts info in this thread that would propose doing something illegal, I am hoping this thread stays open.

Last edited:

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
In the meantime, why you consider Fox News content not worth paying for?
I am simply baffled by the fact that cable networks that do just as much advertising as over-the-air networks do, require an ongoing cable or streaming TV subscription.

Real America’s Voice does not. Neither does One America New or Newsmax.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
When I helped my parents cut the cord 5 years ago, this was one of the things that I couldn't find a solution for. My father liked watching Fox News, but there wasn't a good solution to replace it other than paying for a TV Service.

There is a Fox News app, but IIRC, it is only clips of things. You had to sign in using a TV service to watch live content and full shows. I think it had commercials, too.

YouTube has a lot of Fox News content for free (YT ads, of course), so that might be an alternative. I prefer independent news content, and hardly ever watch Fox or any of the big news channels, but I do occasionally watch the Greg Gutfeld show on YouTube. Probably not the full episode, but they usually post the main story and a second clip every night around 11pm eastern time.

After installation he told me about how he used to watch Fox News for free (either through Roku or Fire TV) but could not remember how it was set up.
I am thinking that it was probably not a legit way.

I am simply baffled by the fact that cable networks that do just as much advertising as over-the-air networks do, require an ongoing cable or streaming TV subscription.
I am thinking that eventually Fox News will have paid content available on the app at some point, but I suspect that they get a decent % of TV service subscriptions that is guaranteed money, and when negotiating this with the TV service companies, if Fox News offered a way to consume the content other than the TV services, they would probably not get as good as a deal.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Fox News posts bite sized cuts from their shows on YouTube all throughout the day. I know that's not quite what you're looking for, but it's a great way to listen to the talking points without lots of the fluff. That's how I digest it most of the time -- I seldom watch it live on TV. I hope this is helpful.

Edit - I see @Juicy Box already mentioned their YouTube channel. Woops.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
A free SlingTV account will give you all the news channels and quite a decent other channels to watch. Try it (IT IS FREE). Subscribe for your free period, immediately unsubscribe, your account with Sling will remain in effect and you will not be charged for their free content which I believe includes FOX news.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA

Real America’s Voice does not. Neither does One America New or Newsmax.
I use Pluto and they have an ample amount of news running 24/7 from "The First, Newsmax, The blaze TV, OANN encore" and more...
I usually get most of my news from the internet but drop in from time to time on Pluto to see what's happening.
Regarding Fox, there are ways but you have to have a cable subscription or pay through "Fox nation".

However, here's what you get with Fox nation from their site:

"Can I watch FOX News with my FOX Nation subscription?
arrow icon

You can watch the very best of Primetime On Demand along with some limited Fox News shows. To watch all Live Fox News shows, you will need to sign in with your TV Provider through Fox Nation, click here for additional info.
Note: A Fox Nation subscription does not include watching Fox News without a TV provider".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.