Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Hey there,

I've been trying to fix my dad's old MBP. He doesn't remember the admin password though set up another account so I could get the serial, etc.

I've tried the COMMAND+R option though it asks me to connect to the internet, then does nothing but let the world animation roll indefinitely. Holding option on restart only has the same option plus the HDD to select on startup.

I've been having a google around though the tutorials for 2011 MBPs seem to be for solutions with older OS that don't work with Sierra.

Any help would be appreciated.
[automerge]1586317776[/automerge]
also, pressing option on startup with usb with the OS doesn't make the usb appear as an option next to the HDD

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
also the indefinite world scrolling animation after ive entered in the wifi password ends has actually ended with a "apple.com/support - 2002f

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Apparently that is outdated. So, I deleted the volume then tried to install from the usb though it said that the image was broken. Now I have a laptop with a wiped drive lol.

I found this https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-damaged-macos-installer/

Which has the 'install macos' software for Sierra which seems more current. The problem with that so far is the 'destination select' page on the installation is skipped so I'm unable to select the usb. I've reformated it and made sure it was the right type though it only wants to install on the other laptop I'm using. :\

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Internet recovery is Command+Option+R. If you are getting the 2002f error, it's because the laptop can't communicate with Apple's server.

Try Internet recovery with a lan cable?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Your High Sierra installer USB will work if you change the time/date on your Mac.

Disconnect internet from the Mac.
Boot into the USB drive, go to Terminal and change the date to around 2017-2018.
Then install the OS.

It will proceed and then once finished, connect to the internet and the time/date will become current.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You have the High Sierra install USB drive, is this correct?
It gives you an error when booting/installing?

Then... you need to "set the date/time back".

Do this exactly as presented:
1. Boot the Mac WITHOUT the USB drive if you can
(you can do this, right?)
2. Open the "date & time" preference pane
3. UNCHECK the box "set date and time automatically"
4. SET BACK THE CLOCK to December 1, 2018
5. Close date & time
6. TURN OFF wifi
Note: if you can't boot from the internal drive, I think you can set back the clock by booting from the flash drive and then opening terminal and entering:
date 010112002019

Now, shut down (all the way off)
Insert the USB flash drive install and reboot.

BUT...
DO NOT run the OS installer yet.
Close it and open Disk Utility.
Check if there is a "view" menu. If there is, choose the option "Show ALL devices" if it's there. IF IT'S NOT THERE, don't worry about it. Go on.
Now, select the topmost item "on the left" which represents the physical drive inside.
Click ERASE and choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format".
WARNING: this will WIPE OUT everything on the internal drive if you are not backed up!!!!
Once the drive is erased and the icon appears on the desktop, quit Disk Utility and reopen the OS installer.

Begin "clicking through" the install. The Mac will reboot one or more times, may go dark one or more times, and you may see one or more "progress bars" during the install. BE PATIENT.

When done, you should see the initial setup screen "choose your language".
Click through and get an account set up.

REMEMBER:
When all this is done, you need to turn wifi back on, and go back to the date & time pref pane and "reset" things to where they should be.

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Just to clarify, it's Sierra not high Sierra.

I'll give the LAN cable a try to see if that changes anything first!
Thanks for the help peeps! I'll update.

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Lan wasn't working for me. It turns out that Dad didn't require Sierra so I went to High Sierra and followed this https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372

Followed it all and got the bootable drive through the terminal command. I put it on the laptop and booted from the USB. I saw a loading bar which got to halfway through and then stopped and was replaced with a ?. Nothing seems to be happening now.
[automerge]1586405623[/automerge]
OP:

You have the High Sierra install USB drive, is this correct?
It gives you an error when booting/installing?

Then... you need to "set the date/time back".

The original OS was wiped since the first tutorial said to wipe then install off the usb (which ended up being damaged). As a result, I've had to work on another laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.