Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aperfectcircle

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
They defiantly refresh themselves often. I never timed it tho, but it's as often as when the phone is not on AOD. AOD on the iPhone is basically just a dimmed lock screen. Apple didn't mess with the rate of lock screen widget refresh when the lock screen is on AOD.
This is my experience as well @boltjames I have a time widget for NZ so I don’t drunkenly call and wake up people from Vietnam and the time is constantly updating. Same goes for live activities from Grab.

Reactions: boltjames

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
As a person who's had it on a phone for a few years now, I can't imagine what I would do without it.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Always on display on my iPhone 14 PM is turned off.
To me it’s only useful if you wanna drain your battery
What Apple needs to do is put a option to turn off the ambient light sensor when AOD is turned on. Like that my screen won’t go bright under the sun or under strong lighting.

Last edited:

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
decided to turn it off for the following reasons:
1. potential burn-in
2. battery impact over time
3. don’t need to keep myself distracted by the phone all the time by glancing over to peek if there’s any notification when not wearing apple watch
4. already have apple watch so any notification wouldn’t be missed

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
So I'm on the fence between the iPhone 15 and the 15 Pro and while some of the features are nice (action button, camera) the real attraction here for me would be the Always On display.

For those who have experience with it, is it actually useful? Is Always On display impactful enough to make it worth getting the heavier phone?
Always on Display helps device user easily viewing on device screen such as time, etc. I love this feature.

iPhone 15 Pro Max and Pro are lighter than last year phones because of titanium frame material so no worries on weight at all and makes the phones are light material short pocket friendly - not pulling down the short while it is in the pocket preventing from wardrobe malfunction.

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I thought it would be an essential feature for me, and it was a big factor in the decision to buy an iPhone 14PM.

If anything, it annoyed me. I am so used to associating the iPhone’s screen being on with a new notification that I kept looking at the phone being on thinking it was because there was a notification.

I’ve downgraded to a 15 regular and don’t miss Always On at all. I have it set to wake on pick up, and that’s essentially immediate. I can always tap the screen if I really want to see it.

qvintus53

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
The first thing I did when I got my phone was to turn the AOD off. Can see any good reason to leave it on.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I've noticed some lag caused by AOD. Sometimes you have to wait for the wake up animation to complete before you can interact with the screen which is annoying, but for some reason swiping up before waking the screen takes you to the home screen. So weird.

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Don't use tap-to-wake, don't use raise-to-wake, wouldn't use always-on if I had it (regular 15 here).

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I love it as I can just lay my phone on the desk and take a glance at it if there's a new notification. Wouldn't want to miss it.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
It's the main reason I upgraded from the 13 mini. I use it to stay on top of my notifications during the day (keep it on a stand by my desk) and find that I rarely miss important notifications now. I also have an Apple Watch Ultra but for whatever reason often times miss notifications on my watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.