Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
I am sensitive to heat and smells so I can easily tell when my electronics (iphone and macbook) are hot from over use. Usually it happens when I am opening to many applications and switching between them too quickly. Hot electronics also get a faint and distinctive smell. It is not a burning smell but a hot plastic smell.
Anyway, I've noticed that my new AVP gets the warm/hot plastic smell but does not get hot just a little warm. It's easy for me to notice since AVP is so close to face/nose.
I am just using my AVP right now to check emails, watch movies, and play music for 1-2hrs but am curious if those who have it on for 2 hours+ notice their AVP get warm or hot from overuse?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Using my AVP for similar lengths of time, I've noticed it getting warm, but never too hot to touch, which has happened with some of my other electronics under load.

Have you tried using the Yosemite environment? That might cool things off. :)

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The heat is surprising because you don't feel it on your face but the moment you put your fingers near the top vents you feel a noticeable amount of heat, similar to an iPhone that is really pushing itself. Again, you never feel it on your face so the cooling system is quite impressive.

Reactions: G5isAlive

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Gotta consider that it is constantly taking into account what’s around you in your space and overlaying it on screen. It’s not just like a iPad where you have what’s shown on screen. It’s like having your iPhone cameras running all the time plus the other apps. And it’s multiple cameras.

I’m sure future software will polish this some and music usually makes my fans spool up for large libraries. I think the software just isn’t fully optimized yet. Better, but not there yet.

Reactions: G5isAlive

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I can never feel the heat until I remove the AVP or purposely put my hand by the vents while it’s in use, and I definitely don’t notice a smell at all. All in all though, I think it does a really good job of blowing the heat away from my actual face and that’s all that really matters in the end.

I don’t really think AVP’s heat output is some kind of software optimization issue. Like others have mentioned, there’s an M2 in there doing all the M2 stuff and then an R1 processing however many cameras worth of real time environmental input. Heat is inevitable. It’s mind blowing to me how much processing is happening within that small enclosure. When you think of it in those terms, the Vision Pro doesn’t seem bulky or heavy at all, but rather small.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I can never feel the heat until I remove the AVP or purposely put my hand by the vents while it’s in use, and I definitely don’t notice a smell at all. All in all though, I think it does a really good job of blowing the heat away from my actual face and that’s all that really matters in the end.

I don’t really think AVP’s heat output is some kind of software optimization issue. Like others have mentioned, there’s an M2 in there doing all the M2 stuff and then an R1 processing however many cameras worth of real time environmental input. Heat is inevitable. It’s mind blowing to me how much processing is happening within that small enclosure. When you think of it in those terms, the Vision Pro doesn’t seem bulky or heavy at all, but rather small.

This. The AVP's thermal output is well within spec for what it's doing - it arguably runs shockingly cool and quiet for all the tasks it's doing at idle. Open up your iPhone camera and point it around for 60-90 seconds straight and your phone heats up considerably. This is indefinitely doing 12 cameras' worth of that task at a much higher frame rate and doing countless stitching/scanning/mapping/perspective correction/occlusion/hand+world+eye tracking etc operations just to sit there at idle with you wearing the device. Then factor in 12 safari tabs, 3D models, something immersive or whatever else you may be doing and I honestly don't know how they kept it all in check.

I've used this thing for 8, 10 hour runs in FaceTime calls with 2-3 other Personas + tons of apps and 3D models open, sharing and recording my view all at the same time and it's always been fine. I've never come across an Apple Silicon product (especially one with fans) that's legitimately been anywhere near overheating in any meaningful way.

Reactions: spiderman0616
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.