Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Been a lifelong iPhone user, but I'm getting really bored of it and the Pixel 6 has become a very tempting option.

I've always already heard horror stories about pathetic app optimization for even the most popular apps on Android. Does that still hold true with Android today, particularly with the Pixel line-up?

My work does involve a lot of online engagement and I need a ton of very popular apps to function optimally all the time.

How would those of you who've used both iPhones and Pixels stack them up directly against each other?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Apps are more optimized on iOS because there is less fragmentation. On Android, not only majority of users are 2 to 3 versions of APIs behind, there are tons of hardware combinations and each OEMs can have their own quirks in the implementations. Android app developers will have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

If you are sticking to the big name apps, you will probably be fine. Any 3rd party camera/multimedia apps are better on iOS. Eg. DJI gave up on Android. Their apps don't even support Android 12 (always force close), while iOS versions are great.

You should list your critical apps, and see if they are available on Android. You can check their descriptions and reviews first to see what others are saying.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.