Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I like the desktop sites for the most part, but on eBay for example, when you try the drop down menus to sort items they don’t do anything. I hope this doesn’t force me to start installing apps for sites that don’t work in Safari anymore.

Tap the AA icon in the address bar and Request Mobile Site and it should go back to the way it was previously. Should stick between visits too.

Reactions: jjk454ss and Cayden

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Not well. A quick breeze through it on my end indicates it is still Mobile Safari in all the ways that actually matter.

What ways are that?

My experience is the opposite.
[doublepost=1562052254][/doublepost]
Not sure if there is enough of a difference at this point to justify one.

We must not be looking at the same iPadOS then.
[doublepost=1562052392][/doublepost]
Dark mode should have been a better Smart Invert. But it’s not.

I prefer developer-designed solutions to forced hacks with visual issues.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
My iBook G4 from 2005 had only 512 MB of RAM and it never ever reloaded Safari tabs like that

It’s a computer. Tablets aren’t really that powerful yet no matter what koolaid people drink about A12X or whatever.

For the same reason gmail.com works better on a 10 yr old PC than any iPad Pro using iOS 13 Safari.

Reactions: dk001

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
In its iOS 13 beta 2 form, Safari as desktop class is pure scam. It behaves exactly like a glorified mobile browser. The only thing is it can download any files.

Reactions: dk001

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
In its iOS 13 beta 2 form, Safari as desktop class is pure scam. It behaves exactly like a glorified mobile browser. The only thing is it can download any files.

In what way? I can access desktop Pinterest and it works just like on a Mac now. I can watch Netflix from Safari now. I can use YouTube like on a Mac (works and feels identical), even have videos play in background. I can use Google Docs. All these things weren’t possible before.

Not sure what you are expecting. Other than extensions, it acts just like Mac Safari.
[doublepost=1562072373][/doublepost]
For the most part on an IPP I am finding it acts more like the “Request Desktop ...” version from 12.

Yes, some websites worked in iOS 12 in Desktop Mode. But, try playing Netflix from Safari in iOS 12. Or try Google Docs. Even with “request desktop”.

An honest question: everyone who’s critical - what features are you expecting? I mean, to me, sites work just like on my Mac. Any site I tried.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
In what way? I can access desktop Pinterest and it works just like on a Mac now. I can watch Netflix from Safari now. I can use YouTube like on a Mac (works and feels identical), even have videos play in background. I can use Google Docs. All these things weren’t possible before.

Not sure what you are expecting. Other than extensions, it acts just like Mac Safari.

Yes, some websites worked in iOS 12 in Desktop Mode. But, try playing Netflix from Safari in iOS 12. Or try Google Docs. Even with “request desktop”.

An honest question: everyone who’s critical - what features are you expecting? I mean, to me, sites work just like on my Mac. Any site I tried.

Hulu and DirectTV Now both work in Safari now too, where they used to push you to the apps. As a result both can be played in the background and even with a locked screen.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

End of day I expect it to work the same as on my MB.
It is getting there however I am finding many sites are treating it just like the "Request Desktop ..." version. Others are playing just like the app (ex: Youtube and Netflix). Still others (especially my Finance and work sites) still see this as Safari mobile. Also, it would be great if they could fix the "reload tab" issue. It does that way more than my MB.

btw - If I go into Safari and search for YouTube, upon opening the site it launches the app. Youtube does not play in Safari. Maybe cause I have the app installed? Netflix on the other hand does launch in the browser. The Netflix app is installed.

Not a bad start however it has a good ways to go. My concern is that we will be pushed to use apps instead of the browser.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.