Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I have been using Yosemite on my MBP. (Pic attached for details).

I have to change the OS X so that I can use Chrome smoothly.

I have an older MBP and was wondering how well it would respond on OS X El Capitan (10.11).

Any feedback is appreciated.

:)

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
el cap was a huge step up on my macbook air 2010 while High Sierra synced well win my ipad
try to get Mojave if you could, that OSX is one of the best  ever developed!

Reactions: MBP_187

MacBook17

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
We maxed out our early-2011 MacBook Pro 17 with El Capitan (10.11.6) and I don't have anything negative to say about it. Compared to the older OS X versions, I'd say it's rock solid...and compared to the old PC operating systems, back in the bad ol' days, it's like it was sent down from God himself. :D

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi All,

I have been using Yosemite on my MBP. (Pic attached for details).

I have to change the OS X so that I can use Chrome smoothly.

I have an older MBP and was wondering how well it would respond on OS X El Capitan (10.11).

Any feedback is appreciated.

:) View attachment 1734147
I would go ahead and put High Sierra 10.13.6 on the computer, which is the latest Apple supports on that computer. 10.11 El Capitan will have a lot of apps which are losing compatibility.

MacBook17

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
A 2011 MacBook Pro can run 10.13.6, High Sierra.
Well, that's great information, but we visited the App Store numerous times and 10.11.6 is as far as Mr. Apple let us go; hence, the phrase "...maxed out..." On the other hand, I'd be more than happy to know how to work around this. Have a good one.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well, that's great information, but we visited the App Store numerous times and 10.11.6 is as far as Mr. Apple let us go; hence, the phrase "...maxed out..." On the other hand, I'd be more than happy to know how to work around this. Have a good one.
There's nothing to work around. Just download and install High Sierra. https://support.apple.com/kb/sp765?locale=en_US
High Sierra wouldn't show as an update in the App Store. It needs to be downloaded manually now because Apple removes direct links to older versions of macOS for some reason. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

MacBook17

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks again for the information, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

The OP asked about using OS X El Capitan and I told him that we had great luck with it.

Thanks again :)

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
el cap was a huge step up on my macbook air 2010 while High Sierra synced well win my ipad
try to get Mojave if you could, that OSX is one of the best  ever developed!

Thank you for the input.

Would Mojave work on my MBP? would it function smoothly?

Thanks in Advance :)

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Thank you for your input.

Is there any particular reason they would only upgrade you to 10.11.6?

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
There's nothing to work around. Just download and install High Sierra. https://support.apple.com/kb/sp765?locale=en_US
High Sierra wouldn't show as an update in the App Store. It needs to be downloaded manually now because Apple removes direct links to older versions of macOS for some reason. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Thank you for this information.

What about Mojave? Do you think my MBP would work smoothly on it?

I'm a pretty basic user; mostly use Word/Excel, Adobe, Chrome etc.

MacBook17

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
MBP_187..... Apparently, we've simply been sheltered by a pretty good machine. I mean, compared to the PCs I used to build and use, back in the day, this MBP 17 (El Capitan) has been a Godsend...and, because it's given us such good service, we never really had a need to keep up with much in the Mac World. For us, we would respond to notices from the Apple App Store and, unfortunately, they ended OS X support at 10.11.6.

According to what I've read here, on the other hand, we could've gotten all the way to OS X High Sierra (10.13.XX) for our (early-2011) MBP 17...but we simply didn't know any better...and, after all, El Capitan has been rock solid on this machine, so I'm not sure what we missed anyway. ;)

By the way, we purchased this machine new and it came loaded with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.XX)

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
MBP_187..... Apparently, we've simply been sheltered by a pretty good machine. I mean, compared to the PCs I used to build and use, back in the day, this MBP 17 (El Capitan) has been a Godsend...and, because it's given us such good service, we never really had a need to keep up with much in the Mac World. For us, we would respond to notices from the Apple App Store and, unfortunately, they ended OS X support at 10.11.6.

According to what I've read here, on the other hand, we could've gotten all the way to OS X High Sierra (10.13.XX) for our (early-2011) MBP 17...but we simply didn't know any better...and, after all, El Capitan has been rock solid on this machine, so I'm not sure what we missed anyway. ;)

By the way, we purchased this machine new and it came loaded with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.XX)

Thank you for the reply.

I totally understand what you mean (".. I'm not sure what we missed anyway"). I have been using Yosemite since 2016, without any complaints.

I am not too keen about updating OS X, unless it is required for my work. Unfortunately I have to use Google Drive alot for work, so Chrome is the main reason I need to update.

Heartily agree, "we've simply been sheltered by a pretty good machine". I am really happy with my MBP.

Stay Well :)

Reactions: MacBook17

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Mojave might work on your MacBook, if not several techies made a patch, i used dosdyde;s which was easy, just 3 to 5 hours of downloading and installing, but worth the trouble,

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thank you for this information.

What about Mojave? Do you think my MBP would work smoothly on it?

I'm a pretty basic user; mostly use Word/Excel, Adobe, Chrome etc.
Mojave isn't officially supported on the 2011 models, but as a poster mentioned there are patches that allow unsupported upgrades. You might try High Sierra first and then decide if going that route is worthwhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.