Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellisreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Just curious as to whether anyone has any screenshots or any information on how apps that aren't optimised for the iPhone X will look on the iPhone X. Similarly to when apps were transitioning from the 5S to the 6/6Plus.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Like they
Just curious as to whether anyone has any screenshots or any information on how apps that aren't optimised for the iPhone X will look on the iPhone X. Similarly to when apps were transitioning from the 5S to the 6/6Plus.

Thanks

Like they do on the Plus model. When the plus model first came with the iPhone 6 these threads were all over the place.

I'm sure there will also be further updates down the line by app makers who wish to take the 'Notch' into consideration and probably take advantage of the 'ears' area.

ellisreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Like they

Like they do on the Plus model. When the plus model first came with the iPhone 6 these threads were all over the place.

I'm sure there will also be further updates down the line by app makers who wish to take the 'Notch' into consideration and probably take advantage of the 'ears' area.

Obviously keeping the notch in mind, will it scale to look like the plus model or will it shift everything to work with the new status bar/notch combination in the UI?

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Obviously keeping the notch in mind, will it scale to look like the plus model or will it shift everything to work with the new status bar/notch combination in the UI?

It depends on what Apple has natively written into the code, I imagine initially all apps would scale but updates will rollout and devs will take advantage of the ears section, HDR and the OLED.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

Thanks

This video has a few examples, of you haven’t seen it already:

Reactions: TinyChip

ellisreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017

I finally managed to find the answer after searching for ages!!!

Turns out there is a compatibility mode. Apps that aren't built for iPhone X will display like the iPhone 4.7"

H60ag.png

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Agreed. It's better than pushing elements around and screwing up the design and functionality if the apps aren't optimised yet though. I suppose it will push developers to optimise their apps.
Let's not forget the change in resolution and more ppi.

I remember when the iphone 6 first came out, how apps were so blurry lmaooo

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It won't look pretty - but Apple devs are pretty good at speedy UI updates. At least the major app devs are. Plus they will have had a month and a half head start getting them ready.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.