Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Ads don't really work on PC like they do on iPhone because its not as easy as just clicking on the banner for example.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Contract work for Enterprise apps, businesses? Imagine signage companies might be interested

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Are you serious? Ads work much better on a huge screen in the living room, possibly be viewed by multiple people. The entire TV industry survives on ads and you wonder how developers are going to get paid?

I'm not saying that developers will get rich off this new format. But there will be ad revenue. It may not have the click through type feature, but companies will still pay to push their brand and message out there.

Reactions: Vanilla Face

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I think we'll see an increase in paid apps and a reduction in free with ads apps. In addition, the apps that do have ads, the ads will get more annoying because they will likely have video and sound since you're watching them on your TV.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Some of us don't make money now, so no difference there then :D not that I blame anyone but myself for that.

Personally I'd be glad to see an end to free/ad supported/ in app purchase models and a return to the tradition of paying for things.
Obviously some apps would likely remain free, Facebook and the like make money from selling your personal information so they're not worried about iap anyway.

As a consumer I hate all of that nonsense getting in the way. Clearly I'm old fashioned in that sense as I've grown up paying for everything. Now it seems to be the opposite, people want more and more, for less and less.

As a developer it would also be nice not to have to waste time thinking about and implementing it either.

As it is I do as little iap/advertising in my apps as possible, it's evil, I'd sooner make no money and have a clear conscience. But unless there's a dramatic change in the market (not going to happen) that's more and more the way things are headed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.