Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I've been having this question since the announcement. I watched a review of iOS 11 Files app on the iPad Pro 10.5, it was showing that the "On my iPad" tab on the app was empty, and the New Folder button was greyed out. I know, it's a Beta release, but what should we expect when iOS 11 hits our devices? Will it let us create new folders locally on our device? Will it be possible to copy files from one app to the other, directly from the Files app? And, the most important question, will it be possible to download files from Safari directly to the Files app, but also on the background?

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I've been having this question since the announcement. I watched a review of iOS 11 Files app on the iPad Pro 10.5, it was showing that the "On my iPad" tab on the app was empty, and the New Folder button was greyed out. I know, it's a Beta release, but what should we expect when iOS 11 hits our devices? Will it let us create new folders locally on our device? Will it be possible to copy files from one app to the other, directly from the Files app? And, the most important question, will it be possible to download files from Safari directly to the Files app?
I hope so, but we need to wait...let’s see with beta4, should be here very soon.
For now I can say this. Safari still doesn’t have a real downloader but the share sheet has a “save to files” option, which is similar to the “save to iCloud drive” one from iOS10

Reactions: jhall8

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
For now I can say this. Safari still doesn’t have a real downloader but the share sheet has a “save to files” option, which is similar to the “save to iCloud drive” one from iOS10

What I wanted to mean was, the ability to download a file in background. I believe that you need to keep the download link tab active to wait for the file to download. It can be time-consuming sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.