Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reggie23x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
If you have an iMac or macbook, you probably already host your iTunes media library and perform purchasing/downloading on it.

If you have an iPad, why would you want to download to an additional iTunes media library?

Please let me know if I'm missing something, but can you consolidate media iTunes libraries from multiple devices you own?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You are missing something. The iPad is like an iPod in that it syncs with iTunes, which has your current library.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Maybe I don't understand the question but you can have copies of the same purchased media in multiple (although limited number) computers. The iPad takes mobility to a whole new level. Imagine coming home from a hard day's work and catch a certain tune on the radio. You figure you want to check it out when you get home but you've spent all day on a computer and the last thing you want to do is park your butt in front of your desk to look for a song. Instead you get home, grab a drink, turn the TV on, dump your butt on the couch, and reach for the iPad sitting on your coffee table.

reggie23x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
ipod, iphone, ipad, imac music

Here's what I'm getting at.... Unless I missed it, the iPad is an independent music library on it's own. Nothing will sync to it, ie ipod or iphone...nor will itself sync to a full-fledged imac or macbook....

What if you buy music on your iPad, is it locked to the itunes library on your iPad or will you be able to also have that music on your main itunes library that can also sync onto your ipod or iphone?

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
Here's what I'm getting at.... Unless I missed it, the iPad is an independent music library on it's own. Nothing will sync to it, ie ipod or iphone...nor will itself sync to a full-fledged imac or macbook....

What if you buy music on your iPad, is it locked to the itunes library on your iPad or will you be able to also have that music on your main itunes library that can also sync onto your ipod or iphone?

It will work in the exact same way as the iPhone and iPod Touch. You can buy from the iTS, and it will sync with your Mac/PC iTunes. It's not an independent device, which is what you're assuming.

reggie23x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
thanks

Thanks, I must have missed something. I'm watching the keynote again to see where I could have missed that this device will be sync'd to your existing pc/mac itune's library...

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
search not, here it is

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 12.48.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 12.48.43 PM.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 140

reggie23x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
thanks again

Yeah, I went over the iPad stuff on apple.com and read about syncing it to your existing library.... my bad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.