Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I could use your advice on something that could help me decide if I want a Macbook Air or not.

The Macbook Air only has an 80gb hard drive, and therefore it is not really meant to be the home to your full iTunes library. When you have a wireless connection, you can probably use "Back to my Mac" to access your iTunes library on your iMac or Mac Mini back at home. (Any better ways that you know of?)

However, when you are on a plane or otherwise don't have access to the internet, how do you plan to access iTunes videos and music?

Is there any way to treat the Macbook Air like an iPod and have it sync to iTunes and copy whatever content to tell it to?

If you cannot use the Macbook Air as a secondary machine to access your iTunes content while offline, that is a major problem for me!

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
either an external HD or an iPod Classic would do the Trick for me. I usually carry my music library on an external drive.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I guess the iPod Classic would do the trick if you set it to manually manage music, so that you can play the content on the MBA when its connected through USB. Its not 100% ideal, because you have to carry your iPod Classic and connect it up.

queuecipher

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I too am going to use a 2.5 external hard drive. Hopefully airdisk issues will be taken care of so I'll only have to connect the hard drive via usb while i'm away from home.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
you can share an itunes library wirelessly
set it up in itunes, but obviously youd need 2 computers (mac or pc) on at the same time

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Whatever is on my iPhone will be on the Macbook Air basically (which is my current stuff I am listening too), plus a movie and TV Show. I will use Back To My Mac (which currently only really works when the machines are on the same router) to sync the content with my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.