Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Soulstorm said:
Me too. I don't see the reason why make a complete install from scratch. I have upgraded from Jaguar to Panther the same way, and I experienced no problems.

I will just upgrade as well, as usual.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
hikeNM said:
I've never used CCC to backup anything. Does it just make a copy of your hard drive?

Yup. I find it pretty easy to get a drive, use CCC, and then format it. Nice, easy, simple. Then I have a copy if I need to go back, and I can move my files back onto the new system. That's how I usually do it.

The nice thing about your copy using CCC is that it can be bootable, whether on another drive or disc. It's a very handy utility, imo.
-Chase

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
rendezvouscp said:
Yup. I find it pretty easy to get a drive, use CCC, and then format it. Nice, easy, simple. Then I have a copy if I need to go back, and I can move my files back onto the new system. That's how I usually do it.

The nice thing about your copy using CCC is that it can be bootable, whether on another drive or disc. It's a very handy utility, imo.
-Chase

sorry for the newbish question, but what is CCC???

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I think I'll just do an upgrade - I've only had my eMac since September, and it still runs very well. I'll just back up to DVDs first, incase anything goes wrong - and if it doesn't work, I can always do a clean install.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
upgrade. its so much less of a hassle for me. especially not having an external hard drive or a second internal. Is it possible to partition your drive and install Tiger on to one partition, then go and take things like apps and your itunes music library off your panther partition, and then delete the panter partition? it seems like it would work, but does it?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
My Steps:

1. Buy a copy of Tiger from the Apple store on the day it is released.
2. Install it on a non essential Mac using the upgrade option
3. Waste the whole day playing with Tiger
4. Post on the Mac boards about my experience. Read about others.

Then, based on the reports I read online and my experiences, I'll upgrade more essential machines doing a clean install on each of them.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
BWhaler said:
My Steps:

1. Buy a copy of Tiger from the Apple store on the day it is released.
2. Install it on a non essential Mac using the upgrade option
3. Waste the whole day playing with Tiger
4. Post on the Mac boards about my experience. Read about others.

Then, based on the reports I read online and my experiences, I'll upgrade more essential machines doing a clean install on each of them.
1. I'm not that careful about upgrading
2. I don't have a non-essential Mac capable of running Mac OS X

Therefore, what I do:
1. Buy a copy of Tiger from the Apple store on the day it is released
2. Back up/Erase and Install
3. Enjoy the new Mac OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.