Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rattlebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hello Everyone: Have OS 10.3.3 on iPhone 7, how may I increase my updates slowly instead of going directly to the last update supported of iOS15.8.1?
I have felt since 1998 that if I accept all of the updates, pretty soon my Apple product goes "Chugga chuuga...so slow" and Apple cordially invites me to purchase THE LATEST GREATEST (Improve my sex life) new product!!! Cynic here...Thank you for any help! Rattle

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Hello Everyone: Have OS 10.3.3 on iPhone 7, how may I increase my updates slowly instead of going directly to the last update supported of iOS15.8.1?
I have felt since 1998 that if I accept all of the updates, pretty soon my Apple product goes "Chugga chuuga...so slow" and Apple cordially invites me to purchase THE LATEST GREATEST (Improve my sex life) new product!!! Cynic here...Thank you for any help! Rattle
I don’t think you can do what you’re wanting to do. You see, Apple stops signing certain updates as new updates are released. This means that older updates won’t install due to the lack of a valid signature for older updates that are no longer being signed by Apple. The best you can do is to turn off automatic updates: Settings > General > Software Updates > Automatic Updates. That way you can decide which updates are installed.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don’t think you can do what you’re wanting to do. You see, Apple stops signing certain updates as new updates are released. This means that older updates won’t install due to the lack of a valid signature for older updates that are no longer being signed by Apple. The best you can do is to turn off automatic updates: Settings > General > Software Updates > Automatic Updates. That way you can decide which updates are installed.
iOS 10 doesn’t have automatic updates.

OP, you can’t, and you wouldn’t want to do that anyway - keep it on iOS 10. If you need a newer iOS version, I’d just buy a newer iPhone. It’s not worth sacrificing your iPhone (because iOS 15 will destroy your iPhone 7), for mediocre compatibility anyway. Buy a newer iPhone and keep the 7 on iOS 10 for the relic that it is.

Remember: you cannot downgrade if you update. iOS 15 will obliterate your iPhone 7.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth

OP, you can’t, and you wouldn’t want to do that anyway - keep it on iOS 10. If you need a newer iOS version, I’d just buy a newer iPhone. It’s not worth sacrificing your iPhone (because iOS 15 will destroy your iPhone 7), for mediocre compatibility anyway. Buy a newer iPhone and keep the 7 on iOS 10 for the relic that it is.

Remember: you cannot downgrade if you update. iOS 15 will obliterate your iPhone 7.
Thank you for letting me know that iOS 10 doesn’t have automatic updates, I couldn’t quite remember back that far.

OP, I agree.. keep your iPhone 7 on its current OS version and use it as a sort of “Siri pod” or music streaming device. It will function much better as is than it will if you update to the latest available version of the operating system.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Sadly, Apple won't let us choose which major revision we can install, let alone any version at all.

They seem just as well if they make your perfectly good device suddenly unbearable to use.

Reactions: Rattlebone

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Sadly, Apple won't let us choose which major revision we can install, let alone any version at all.

They seem just as well if they make your perfectly good device suddenly unbearable to use.
Well, lack of full control is always a potential price we pay when we’re using someone else’s property. And, iOS is the property of Apple, not the user (see iOS TOS).

Reactions: Rattlebone

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Well, lack of full control is always a potential price we pay when we’re using someone else’s property. And, iOS is the property of Apple, not the user (see iOS TOS).
Yep, nothing like predatory ToS you find out about after buying the device and have no choice but to agree to since Apple won't let you install anyone else's software on your device (which you do own).

It's no wonder EU is starting to get on their case.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Yep, nothing like predatory ToS you find out about after buying the device and have no choice but to agree to since Apple won't let you install anyone else's software on your device (which you do own).

It's no wonder EU is starting to get on their case.
If you’re not happy with Apple products then go elsewhere. I’m so sick of hearing people crying over a problem they could easily solve themselves.

Rattlebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024

I'm grateful to know this! Was strongly thinking of updating to use for a home security system change I was checking out!

Rattlebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024

I certainly agree and thank you for your response! Sometimes I'm ready to go back to a wired system here thru Century Link!!!

Rattlebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024

Thank you for responding!

Rattlebone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Yes, I was afraid of that! Thank you Iwavvns!

Reactions: Iwavvns

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
If you’re not happy with Apple products then go elsewhere. I’m so sick of hearing people crying over a problem they could easily solve themselves.
Or I could give my opinion on the change I'd like to see, in a thread about the specific subject, in a forum for discussion.

I'm sick of hearing the incredibly unhelpful 'just leave!!' to any criticism of the lord and saviour Apple. Seems bad this past week... oh right, the stock is down.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023

This is good advice.

Keep your iPhone 7 as is and just buy a newer iPhone when money comes in.

Any security hole that your 7 may encounter will likely not impact your finances or data all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.