Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi,

So I am attending a free outdoor orchestra concert show this evening from 6pm-9pm in a little college out here in the middle of nowhere in Virginia. It states the event is sold out with 150 ppl attending and I’m one of them.

I called ahead and we’re allowed to bring our own alcohol. I’m sure couples will bring wine along with their picnic blankets but I’m attending solo as I’m out here for the month for work.

I don’t want to bring a whole bottle of whiskey so am wondering how to best approach this. I don’t have to hide the alcohol and be sneaky but I do definitely want to get a good buzz going during the few hours I’m there.

Maybe a thermal flask mug? You know, the ones ppl put coffee in before they off to work?

I don’t really drink much which is why I ask.

Just bring a bunch of Jello Shots :).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To each their own. For me, I wouldn't bring "booze". I would go with something like White Claw hard seltzer in cans. Booze is something I prefer to enjoy while savoring the moment. Hard to savor the moment at a concert. Besides I would be concerned with driving afterwards.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
White Claw hard seltzer
Oh you party animal you.

What are they like? I saw them in my regular shops a while back but figured it was regular seltzer with more "bite" to it and not alcohol. I'll sometimes use SpinDrift or San Pelligrino's seltzers on top of gin or vodka for a lightened up drink.

Reactions: I7guy

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
During a concert? No. I still recall a Muse concert in 2006 when with a bunch of friends we went to a bar - went to the concert - returned to the bar.

I would drink at the beach or picnic if not driving. I won't make the mistake I did a couple of years back chugging some beer on the shore of Lake Issy Kul in Kyrgyzstan, 1,607 metres (5,272 ft), on a hot day in August.

Reactions: 0388631

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
During a concert? No. I still recall a Muse concert in 2006 when with a bunch of friends we went to a bar - went to the concert - returned to the bar.

I would drink at the beach or picnic if not driving. I won't make the mistake I did a couple of years back chugging some beer on the shore of Lake Issy Kul in Kyrgyzstan, 1,607 metres (5,272 ft), on a hot day in August.

I have a leather jacket that still has the marks from beer raining down in it during an Oasis gig back in 2009 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff lol. Probably a mixture of lager and urine but had a great time! It was £5 a pint back then.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I vaguely remember christening people with one of those large Stoli bottles full of vodka back in university. Knowing me back then, it's likely my memory of what I did is wholly accurate. Definitely don't remember what the event was. I'm sure it's different now, but it wasn't hard to get the rozzers to partake in the drinking and skirt their duties back then.
[doublepost=1562968570][/doublepost]
Oh, I don't know. A cool beer on a warm day isn't bad.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I
Oh, I don't know. A cool beer on a warm day isn't bad.
Well, yes it's great just hasn't eaten anything and was a bit dehydrated and didn't expect the alcohol to affect me as much as it did at that altitude. Lesson learned, snacks are essential.

Reactions: 0388631

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Dear Gentle Reader,

Again, it’s uncouth to swig in public before 9 am without the brown paper bag. However, this diplomatic code does not apply in public parks or parked cars.

Signed,

Mister Manners

Reactions: MacNut and Tomorrow

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Well, yes it's great just hasn't eaten anything and was a bit dehydrated and didn't expect the alcohol to affect me as much as it did at that altitude. Lesson learned, snacks are essential.
Oh, yeah, hell on earth that. Or the day after heavy-ish drinking where you don't eat or consume water. You're not having a hangover, but every joint in your body aches. Seems to have amplified with age.

In university there was a nice mom and pop restaurant that served some of the best tarama you could imagine having, even though it may be sinful for me to even suggest such a thing to you. Worked well with toasted bread and cold drinks. Sometimes they'd operate late into the night on Fridays and Saturdays with the door closed and serve anyone wanting some greasy but wholesome food.

By the time I began my masters program they got out because a developer offered them a large mountain of money to close up. There's a few places still around but they've changed several owners and doesn't taste the same.
[doublepost=1563077561][/doublepost]
Suppository... :D:eek::eek:
No one wants to know what your habits are whenever you bump Eruption's One Way Ticket on the stereo.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think the answer is obvious...
1PCS-Beer-Can-Holder-Helmet-Drinking-Helmet-Drinking-Hat-3Colors-Freeshipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

Convenient.. But i'd look kinda goofy.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I knew a guy who used to ride motorcycles; traveling, motocross, enduro, trial etc. It just so happens he was also a bit of a booze hound.

Anyway, for the longer trips he did, he had made a sort of a hollow breastplate with a long, flexible rubber tube serving as a straw, and straps that would go over the shoulders. Sort of like a backpack worn on the front, only flatter. The thing covered most of his torso, and per his words it was incredibly convenient, both on, and off road, if you know what I mean.

He passed away many years ago, and since then I've tried the thing for myself once. It does work, and can relatively easily be concealed under a hoodie so I guess that's a plus. The downside was that after having the thing on for 30 minutes I was ready to die of dehydration rather than keep the thing on my body a minute longer. It wasn't very comfortable, then again he was quite a bit bigger than me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.