Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
$550 a year to use a credit card?? Hard pass on that one.
It costs more now after the recent service additions. It‘s a great card if you fall into the target audience that travels a lot (and don‘t mind the insane 4% foreign currency fee).

Offers vary from country to country though. In Germany there‘s a heavy focus on rental cars and insurance protection (next to the 200€ trip budget for their AmEx vacation portal and 200€ Sixt budget).

I wish one day someone made a premium credit card with a „pick your flavor“ system… I really like the AmEx Platinum but the perks just aren‘t that good for me. Wish they‘d offer a way to change the perks and pick out of a few to mix and match your card offering (e.g. AmEx tries to heavily position the Platinum as a lifestyle card here, yet it‘s still the „I fly a lot“ card). Imagine getting to choose between Priority Pass at Airports and a 200€ retailer budget (selection of retailers provided by AmEx)… or drop that crap Sixt budget for a streaming service one (e.g. a free year of service XYZ / 200€ streaming service budget to spend freely).

I can‘t really comment on the Apple Card because it‘s not available here. Even if it were, the only thing it‘d have going for it is the cool design and the great Wallet UI. Credit Cards are perk haven here, if you ship with cashback only you‘re dead in the water (almost all cards I know come with dozens of insurance perks included like rental car insurance, 90 day shop returnal periods, theft protection or travel insurance packages).

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Not any more. The Amex AF is $695.

Apple card is good for small purchases. I never understood why they will finance an Iphone for 24 months yet a MBP or ipad for only 12 months.
Agreed.

My Plat AF will renew next year but I have already started to enjoy the new benefits (Clear & digital subscriptions) on top of the other long list of benefits I use ($200 Uber, $200 Airline credit, $100 Saks).

Just returned from a vacation in Hawaii - $400 Fine Hotel & Resort credit plus $250 on site resort credit makes the Amex Platinum card very valuable.

Already saved enough to pay for the upcoming $695 AF.

OTOH, I use the Apple Card for daily groceries and get my 2% as well as the Apple financed devices with 3% cash back is a no brainer...

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Aren't the private clubs crowded as well? I guess it varies in location. My experiences have been bad. They are crowded and sometimes there is a wait to get in. Used to be like an oasis - relax, grab a bite, get some work done and take a nap. Now they are full of noise, kids, and ugh....

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Aren't the private clubs crowded as well? I guess it varies in location. My experiences have been bad. They are crowded and sometimes there is a wait to get in. Used to be like an oasis - relax, grab a bite, get some work done and take a nap. Now they are full of noise, kids, and ugh....
Yeah maybe. I haven’t been in one in a long time. I recall they did start letting kids in which was new.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I wish Apple Card would offer club access....

Regarding Amex Plat -

I have used: Delta Sky Clubs, Centurion, Priority Pass, Escape & Airspace lounges - all have become difficult to get into but I think Amex is upping the AF to $695 to reduce the amount of people who are getting the card.....

My best experience was a First Class lounge access using the Plat card in Xiamen, China while waiting for a 6 hour layover - made to order noodles, beer, wine, and lots of Asian foods. The best part was they had a quiet lounge area with lie flat beds that helped with jet lag....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.