Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syncomesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Good day, all-

I just picked up an eMate that I want to use as an on-location typewriter. When I get home, I need to tranfer the typed text to my G3 iMac running OS 10.1.

I am trying to find the best way to do that & could not find any still-functioning webpages with such info so I am looking for help here.

If this info is available somewhere, please direct me to the site.

I am wondering do I need a serial to USB adapter for my iMac?
or
An ethernet card for the emate?
or
Just some sort of memory card I can swap from the eMate to some sort of card reader for the iMac.

I can start up the iMac in OS9.2

Thanks in advance,
Syncromesh.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
syncomesh said:
...I am trying to find the best way to do that & could not find any still-functioning webpages with such info so I am looking for help here...

Try NewtonTalk.net, it's a very much still active community surrounding the Newton. Search throught the archive as your question has been asked many times in the past (it's a common one.)

As the iMac doesn't have serial ports, you'll most likely need a USB>Serial adapter (search the net) and you need to install the Newton Connection Utility, which would only run under Classic or OS 9.

I recommend heading over to http://www.chuma.org/newton/ncage/ and reading up here. It has all the info you need.

Hope that helps

syncomesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
5300cs said:
...It has all the info you need. Hope that helps

Hey, thanks. I have my adapter & eMate now. I got the software downloaded & now I just need to dig up a serial cable.

Thanks for the help!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I see your running 10.1 i'd advise you to upgrade.

i'm sure i've seen newton utility type things for os x not sure where

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.