Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Curious how everybody's magic keyboard is holding up, especially the whtie ones over time. Thinking of buying a white one, but a little nervous. How are the individual keys (are the keys getting scratched up) and overall external materials?

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I can see some minor wear on the space bar. But you have to really look for it at certain lighting and angles. Otherwise it's difficult to tell. So mine is holding up pretty well. But I'm not typing constantly on it either. My gaming keyboard on the otherhand is got obvious wear spots from playing FPS games. I got white magic keyboard specifically because it's not backlit and I want to be able to see the keys even though I can type fairly well without looking.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I have the 11" black one for my 11" iPad Pro, got around 2 years ago. Very minor key wear (really only see it on the right side of the space bar, since it's the key I hit the most / with my right thumb). Trackpad still looks very clean.

On the front anhd back covers, there are a few scratches on it. The material is kind of rubber like, so if you happen to scratch it hard (Eg. with your nail, or with something sharp), it leaves a bit of a light scuff.

Overall, I've been really happy with the longevity and robustness of it.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Curious how everybody's magic keyboard is holding up, especially the whtie ones over time. Thinking of buying a white one, but a little nervous. How are the individual keys (are the keys getting scratched up) and overall external materials?
I have both white and black. Black looks better than white after 1-2 years. The white one looks a bit dirty while the black is solid black just like new.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
No issues, typing on it now. A scuff mark here and there from being in a bag and travelling around the world but given that it’s held up really well.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
the front bottom corners on mine the covering fabric has hole but otherwise holding up well.

Beefbowl

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2021
Had the black magic keyboard, handed it down to my wife when the white one came out. The black one seems worse at showing off scuffs and palm rest impressions - it was very obvious that I had put some mileage on it.

Her solution was to put an iridescent purple skin on it, which I have to admit is very striking even if not exactly my thing.

The white is obviously newer but seems to show wear less obviously.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Had the black magic keyboard, handed it down to my wife when the white one came out. The black one seems worse at showing off scuffs and palm rest impressions - it was very obvious that I had put some mileage on it.

I have the same impression with the black. It was getting to me and I purchased a “refurbished” white MK from Amazon for a deep discount, while listing the black MK on eBay. The black is still is pretty good condition for as often as I cleaned it, but it definitely shows palm rest impressions and there is some wear on the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.