Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have it on my iPhone with no major issues but I was wondering if iPads maybe had unique bugs?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Only minor bugs for me. Some safari crashes, and some old apps have keyboard rendering issues.

iPad pro definitely feels faster. No scroll lag, apps launch faster, generally more responsive. Reminds me of the old days.

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

I've been running it since it became available for download. I'd say it's absolutely fine as a daily driver. As others have mentioned, performance is actually noticably better than 11.4. Some bugs and annoyances I used to encounter regularly (most notably delays and freezes in Safari) are gone now as well in iOS 12. I use my iPad for both work and leisure, as I work from home doing systems administration work, and I've yet to find any of my business apps that don't work either. Well, Skype for Business is terribly unreliable, but then it always was and that's not the fault of iOS 12. SSH, RDP, VPN and VMware clients all work fine without an issue. I get about one re-spring a day on average, and it's usually related to Notification Centre and/or Control Centre. That's a big improvement over the stability of Beta 1 on any other version of iOS I can think of, and I've run all betas since iOS 8. So basically: I'd recommend it, as the performance gains alone are well worth it.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Almost a week in, and iOS 12 is unbelievably stable and quick for me. I am fully aware that this is an early beta and things could get worse at some point before getting better, but for now it's way more polished and usable than iOS 11- and I never had any major issues with 11.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
It’s okay. I’m not really understanding all this hyperbolic “it’s fast as heck and smoother than silk dipped in olive oil” talk though. I mean it seems a bit snappier in places like when pulling up the keyboard and in those other areas they pointed out, but it’s honestly not that dramatic. I don’t think you’d tell the difference to be honest. There’s still heavy stutters when swiping between windows in multitasking, I mean it is really choppy. Overall though I’m not finding it to be any smoother than 11.4. I hope it improves by final release, it is the first beta after all so I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt. If it’s still dropping frames in the final release then I will complain, especially since they made smoothness a key talking point.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCrichton

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Keep in mind what you said...

You’re not finding a BETA to be any smoother than a polished release?

That’s huge they can even be related.

For the record, I noticed a huge difference on my 10.5 ipad, and the battery life doesn’t disappear in the middle of the night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.