Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I know it's a beta, but one thing that was absent from the Keynote and on Apple's website are any mention of improved rendering performance and speed in Safari 9 (?). Even though it's early, I'm curious if there is any readily apparent improvement like many people posted during the move from Safari 7 to Safari 8.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
For me it's actually slightly worse (scrolling) than on the latest 10.10.4 beta, but for the DP1 that's more than acceptable. Yet I have to admit I'am yet to see any performance improvements across the entire OS. It's good but it's not better.

Last edited:

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
on my rMBP 13" 2015, Safari renders stuff a lot faster. combined with the performance and pin features it's making it where I don't want to go back to 10.10. only issue are loading bugs for some sites (Facebook), hoping the next update resolves that.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
actually i've only noticed the left click issue with the second last tab from the right when you get a few open. for some reason i sometimes can't click it if i'm on the last tab, but if I switch to another tab and then try the second last one it works.

DubelBoom

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
For me it's actually slightly worse (scrolling) than on the latest 10.10.4 beta, but for the DP1 that's more than acceptable. Yet I have to admit I'am yet to see any performance improvements across the entire OS. It's good but it's not better.

Exactly the same here. I feel Safari lags sometimes when scrolling, even very serious and notable lags for a few seconds, and I also don't feel any speed improvement.
But I like having latest software, even though I don't really feel a difference from Yosemite, so I'm sticking with El Capitan ;)

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

Everything seems slightly worse for me on 10.11, and for some reason I can't load Facebook at all in Safari. Haven't been able to since last night.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Safari's rendering and scrolling is much more responsive for me. However, it does have some serious problems such as stalling when pressing CMD+T/L on certain sites. Apple's already aware of all the bugs I've filed so far. Hopefully, we'll get a better build in the next beta.

Also, note Safari is at version 8.1 in DP1, not 9.0 like what the docs are showing.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone else with Facebook issues using F.B. Purity? Mine is fine for a bit after I completely wipe out browsing history, but within an hour it completely stops loading Facebook again.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Facebook is working fine on my Retina 5K for most of the time, and not at all on my non-retina testing macs. Your mileage may vary. No FB related plugins or extensions.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Safari on a MPB (2012) crashes ALOT... With or without Adblocker, however it is faster. Doesn't hang on webpages anymore (unless it crashes...)

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Aside from the known bugs, including the spotty Facebook/Netflix compatibility, Safari has been pretty smooth for me. Not sure if it's more due to under-the-hood improvements of Safari or the OS overall, but I'm happy. I wouldn't say there's any huge performance boost, but that may come to light over time.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Not good on my 2013 MBA. A lot of graphical glitches (artifacts), tabs auto-reloading because they crash, occasional 1 second delay before the right-click context menu shows up and occasionally the entire browser becomes unresponsive.

in short it's very rough.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Aside from the known bugs, including the spotty Facebook/Netflix compatibility, Safari has been pretty smooth for me. Not sure if it's more due to under-the-hood improvements of Safari or the OS overall, but I'm happy. I wouldn't say there's any huge performance boost, but that may come to light over time.

Any idea what the issue is with Facebook? I could see a site loading strangely, or out of place, but completely unable to load? It's weird.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Not good on my 2013 MBA. A lot of graphical glitches (artifacts), tabs auto-reloading because they crash, occasional 1 second delay before the right-click context menu shows up and occasionally the entire browser becomes unresponsive.

in short it's very rough.

Did you try doing a clean install on a separate partition or external drive? Your issues are unusual and not something I'm seeing from many people.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Any idea what the issue is with Facebook? I could see a site loading strangely, or out of place, but completely unable to load? It's weird.

If I remember correctly (can't check now; FB is loading just fine for the moment), the console log showed resources which couldn't be found. I'll come back and let you know if I find out more.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Safari 8.1 is bundled with 10.11 where as 8.0.6 is bundled with Yosemite 10.10.3 which makes me wonder whether we're either going to see a refresh of 10.11 with a newer Metal optimised version of Safari in 10.11 or maybe an upgrade offered after the release. There is mention that ECMA Script/Javascript will be getting some v6 features but I'm sure once ECMA Script v6 is finalised it'll be interesting to see websites upgrade their code which should make web apps a whole lot better. Regarding the Javascript performance - I wonder whether they'll be looking at using Metal to speed up performance in the same way that Microsoft has done with their own browser.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone got an issue with windows not closing? I have a few windows open, but then cannot close some of them. End up having to Force Quit then start from scratch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.