Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamantium411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
What kind of condition is yours in, and how long have you had it? I’ve seen a handful of people say theirs didn’t patina, so much as just break down. Any first hand accounts?

Reactions: twanj

Adamantium411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Remember the leather type of apple watch band is different from that of the leather case. It does not develop patina
I actually didn’t know that. My question isn’t really about patina so much as wear, though. I’ve seen a handful of people showing black scuffs on theirs after less than a month. I’m wondering if that’s an endemic issue, or just a couple flukes.

mikeb298

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
My band has been fine. Some minor wear around the curve near the lugs and on bottom side where my wrist rests against my desk. Not developing a patina like my poppy case

Reactions: mikedop

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
I use many Apple leather bands but not a single band developed patina. Then I know they are different leather type, or I guess the outter side of the band does not contact human oil and sweat.

Adamantium411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
My band has been fine. Some minor wear around the curve near the lugs and on bottom side where my wrist rests against my desk. Not developing a patina like my poppy case
Appreciate it. The part that rests against your desk, is it getting like, dark stained spots, or just normal wear?

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Remember the leather type of apple watch band is different from that of the leather case. It does not develop patina
This is true. I purchased the saddle brown thinking I could get it to work into a dark rich brown. Nope. The leather seems painted more than tanned.

Adamantium411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
This is true. I purchased the saddle brown thinking I could get it to work into a dark rich brown. Nope. The leather seems painted more than tanned.
That’s definitely the case. In fact, you can see on mine where the paint ends.

Attachments

• 7A6D66ED-3AFA-4095-AF4F-728C4D4C9BCE.jpeg
    7A6D66ED-3AFA-4095-AF4F-728C4D4C9BCE.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 708

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Dammit. Now I want one.
What size watch and color do you have? I have a great middle of the road option with minimal wear Id sell ya.

Watsonsa

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
I’ve had my California Poppy strap since Nov 2020 (4 months) and it’s wearing badly. The “paint” is coming off the leather. I took it to Apple and they claimed it’s normal wear and tear. I think that’s very poor, considering the price of it. Anyone else?
A892426F-D42A-4828-BA67-74683B89F64B.jpeg

Reactions: perezr10

ako323

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Six months in. Paint is coming off. Thought it was dirt and wiped it down to notice it took off more paint. (think i mentioned this in another thread). Apple support told me to go to the genius bar. Waited an hour for them to tell me it is considered normal wear and tear and there was no way it was going to get replaced even though my watch is pristine aside from the strap. Definitely no patina. Just flakes paint.

I wonder how long before we start seeing people talking about the chalk version.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2021-06-04 at 22.22.07@2x.png
    CleanShot 2021-06-04 at 22.22.07@2x.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 325

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
It is painted. They all are. Leather is (largely) a scam of an industry/material, especially in fashion products.

Reactions: myrtlebee

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Six months in. Paint is coming off. Thought it was dirt and wiped it down to notice it took off more paint. (think i mentioned this in another thread). Apple support told me to go to the genius bar. Waited an hour for them to tell me it is considered normal wear and tear and there was no way it was going to get replaced even though my watch is pristine aside from the strap. Definitely no patina. Just flakes paint.

I wonder how long before we start seeing people talking about the chalk version.
Correct, it’s paint. You can’t patina plastic, which is what the paint on the leather bands is principally made of.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
That’s definitely the case. In fact, you can see on mine where the paint ends.
That’s not where the poppy paint ends, it’s where the side paint begins. Most leather has a PU “painted” finish on all ends to bind them together and make them resistant to wear and separation. This band is a marvel of “leather” work, and absolutely benefits from this PU side paint/glue/binding.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
My 18 month old Poppy band still looks great because it’s not a daily use band and I’ll only wear it if I’m going to be in an air conditioned office and not active.

I don’t recommend the leather link band to anybody who asks for my opinion because it’s not a very durable band. It’s great for apple band connoisseurs who have large collections and rotate bands often.But it’s not for the average person who is going to buy a band and wear it into the ground.

I’m guessing that in 18 months I’ve worn it less than 25 times.
C1AAABD7-CC95-4BEB-8246-F9D8409F6FF9.jpeg

Last edited:

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Resurrecting an old thread. In contrast to the last post, I have several leather link bands and they're basically the only bands I wear daily. I find them incredibly durable. Obviously the poppy shows more wear than others, but mine is still in pretty good shape 2 years in. Been near-daily wearing a dark green one I got with my series 7 for over a year straight and it still looks nearly flawless. You can see the wear if you look real close, but it's pretty much undetectable.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Resurrecting an old thread. In contrast to the last post, I have several leather link bands and they're basically the only bands I wear daily. I find them incredibly durable. Obviously the poppy shows more wear than others, but mine is still in pretty good shape 2 years in. Been near-daily wearing a dark green one I got with my series 7 for over a year straight and it still looks nearly flawless. You can see the wear if you look real close, but it's pretty much undetectable.

I don’t disagree with you. I think if you have several leather link bands and rotate them it helps a lot. Especially if you have the darker colored ones because it’s much harder to notice where the paint has worn off.

But it’s very hard to find the pre owned lighter colored link bands in good condition on eBay because the paint wears off.

Reactions: KRG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.