Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello,
I have had an iphone 5 16GB, until i sold it.
I have had a backup of it as i was using offline map software with bookmarks.

Now i bought another iphone 5 64GB.
I want to duplicate and move or transfer or restore the map apps from the backup to the new phone so i can have their settings.

I tried various ways like imazing trials etc. and i noticed that despite my backup can be read
it cannot be copied to my new phone, despite it was ie iphone 5 backup.

I guess due to capacity issues and also name of phone.
So, i changed the name of the new phone to match the old one...

I still cannot move the apps to the new one.

Any solutions to this issue please.

thanks

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
What was the issue with iMazing? Apps restore should have been not limited in trial and I never had issues with app restore on my side (if it was technically possible to restore it). Can you describe your steps and errors you had?

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If any of the apps have been discontinued, you won't be able to download them again during a restore from iCloud

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
i have had a trial and made a backup of my iphone before i sell it.
Then i bought a new one of different capacity and had name different than the previous device.

I run for example, imazing and found the backup i wanted to restore. But, because possibly the phone has different capacity could not recognise it and restore the backup because it had different capacity possibly. not sure...

So, i connected the only iphone i have via usb. i run imazing. then i have the current iphone recognised ok.
In disconnected list, i can see the old iphone backup as the phone was listed under different name.
Example. Connected iphone is IPHONE1 and old-backup one is named IPHONE2 on the device name and imazing list.

So, i go and select the iphone2, then i click top right the backups button.
I select and unlock the old backup and click restore and... NOW IT CAN DO restore OK to the IPHONE1 !

Thats strange... Maybe is a bug with the app. I say this because yesterday, on my mac i connected 2 devices, the PHONE1 which is a 5 model and another which is a 6s model.

It seems that the software gets confunsed and does not allow restore to the IPHONE1 if there is another iOS device connected on laptop. I use latest high sierra . It did not allow me to do it a tall yesterday.

Now the phone restarted after formating, and i went and set it up as new device, and after wifi network selection it shut down and i saw a restore progress message. Then i clicked home button to Upgrade... not sure why upgrade message appeared though... Again select wifi and agree to terms... Now i logged to iCloud and starts downloading the apps.

The only problem i now have is
the Voice memos is installed with the old white background logo instead of the new version on black background even when i uninstall it but no problems as the contents are back.

thanks for the reply minorite

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
i have had a trial and made a backup of my iphone before i sell it.

Capacity should not be the problem, especially when it's bigger than the old one. Have you checked if new phone has the same iOS or newer than the old one? It's the most common problem. Also I didn't know you could restore the full backup in trial version, always thought it works only with the license :)

About Voice Memos background, it's iOS stock app, could be some system glitch.

So to avoid any confusion, all map apps were restored and all is good now?

Reactions: mayowenty

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello again
the maps were not restored at the end.
i think was error with program as maps did not restore ok. I gave up with itunes as well and i managed to reformat the phone from beginning. I had no choice than reformat it. I think the backup was defective or maybe not sure what i have done as a newbie with all these software.

the good thing is that is starting up ok now, despite i notice it is warming up- gets a bit hot now, maybe i need a new battery.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Apps may not store all data in the backup, this is totally on app devs so you could be just unlucky.

You can try to restore apps backup one more time just in case if you want, but this will overwrite current app data if you have any so care. NOTE: This will NOT affect anythin except the app in question, other data is safe.

1) Open your backup in iMazing with Backup list or click on it if it's a single backup displayed in sidebar.
2) Go to Apps section > find the app you need.
3) Right-click on the app > Extract app to get the .imazingapp file.
4) Restore .imazingappfile according to this guide.

Hope this helps!

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
thanks for the help. my phone crashed yesterday, no startup... so its useless until i find another device to buy soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.