Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Hello,

I need to use my PPC G5 2ghz machine and my recently bought macpro 1.1. (2.1) with osx lion (insofar)
to access Internal hdd data, usually photos etc, on various hard drives installed in these machines, so i can
synchronise them manually.

I have 1 monitor only.

How can i connect my i.e OSX Lion macpro to the G5, to which i will disable password login, and see if i can login without this screen directly, to access it in real time ?

I also have 1 keyboard which will be connected to the machine connected to the monitor.

Any suggestions with software or i.e. ethernet connections and procedure to follow so i can see the other machine on my desktop and transfer etc files from it ?

I dont want to copy system files.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Does the G5 support screen sharing? Set it to share and on the other machine, click the screen share button in the finder. They need to be on the same network. Dunno if putting the G5 in disk mode will do what you want.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
- target disk mode with a fire wire cable

- share all the G5s drives and connect the 2 machines via ethernet

- turn on screen sharing then drag & drop the files

- pop the drives out and put them in the MP, transfer the files

Many different ways to skin this cat.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
- target disk mode with a fire wire cable

- share all the G5s drives and connect the 2 machines via ethernet

- turn on screen sharing then drag & drop the files

- pop the drives out and put them in the MP, transfer the files

Many different ways to skin this cat.

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure the drive caddies are the same, you probably don't even need a screwdriver (just swap the drives out and throw them in the mac pro).

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
G5's don't have drive caddies!
Oh poop you're right! My bad

I totally forgot. Good memory on a machine that hasn't been made in 10 years!

It does have SATA though, so that's good.

lCmuEez.jpg

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
hello again ! Thanks for the replies !

From the answers given, which method is the faster i.e. Screen sharing, ethernet ?
Did not know that screen sharing was a feature to transfer files at all !

So to use the screen sharing do i have to
1) activate file sharing as well ?
2) connect the 2 macs with firewire or ethernet ? or both on a routers ethernet port ?
3) have 2 keyboards ?

By the way the macpro is full of hdds so cannot connect more internally.

Last edited:

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
The slow hard drive will be the bottleneck, so it won't matter which method you use. Target disk mode is the simplest because there's zero configuration and no need for peripherals other than a keyboard to do the initial boot:

- turn on the PM while holding command and T
- wait till it sounds like a jet engine taking off
- connect it to your MP via firewire cable
- browse the PM drives in finder and copy your files
- eject the PM when finished.

Have a beer.

Plenty of write-ups here on file sharing / screen sharing if you want to go that route.

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
The slow hard drive will be the bottleneck, so it won't matter which method you use. Target disk mode is the simplest because there's zero configuration and no need for peripherals other than a keyboard to do the initial boot:

- turn on the PM while holding command and T
- wait till it sounds like a jet engine taking off
- connect it to your MP via firewire cable
- browse the PM drives in finder and copy your files
- eject the PM when finished.

Have a beer.

Plenty of write-ups here on file sharing / screen sharing if you want to go that route.
hi flint !

Thanks for this tip, interesting as well. What happens when the mac fans spin (jet engine as you describe)
Is OSX paused in a way, waiting for a firewire connection ? Or is it better to connect it first then restart...

basilt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
The fans just spin up to keep everything cool(ish).
cool indeed !

I managed to find out how to connect the mac on target disk mode but could not do the screenshare. The other mac either PPC or macpro does not show in the add menu or i do something wrong...

Now in target disk mode, i tried to do it with ethernet cable and for a reason did not work, when i saw the firewire symbol on the other mac (i have 1 monitor) i used the firewire and all look ok, although only the startup disk shows up, not the other 2 drives also hooked on the macpro.

Dont know why, but will start partial transfer from startup disk then see what other solution i might get

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.