Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Ok, after days of frustration and searching the internet on how to play Xfinity (Comcast) OnDemand titles on my devices, I finally found the solution to doing so. (Similar issues occur with DirecTV and possibly other providers, such that these companies recognize a jailbroken device and do NOT allow playback of their content.).

I take absolutely no credit of the sort for any developing or coding with any of the associated jailbreak tweaks, I want to simply help users with this problem, instead of digging through Google...

all credit and donations should go to the guys over at XCon, for making this possible!

https://twitter.com/unimp0rtanttech
https://twitter.com/olunatiko

Ok, it's a short and simple guide, if you've used SSH it will be even easier.

Process: Install a .deb file (Xcon, a cydia tweak) manually, since it's a beta version of Xcon and not found on any Cydia repo (currently)

Required Cydia tweaks:
OpenSSH (free)

Required computer programs:
WinSCP (preferred)

Steps:
0. Whether Xfinity is installed or not, it doesn't matter.
1. Install OpenSSH from Cydia, respring after installation.
2. Kill Cydia (end the process)
3. Run WinSCP on your desktop and connect to your iphone by:
  • Host name: your IP address of the current WiFi network you are connected to
  • User name: 'root'
  • Password: 'alpine'
4. Navigate to 'private/var/tmp'
5. Download the .deb file here: http://goo.gl/cWO09 and rename it so it's a shorter filename (this makes step 8 easier)
6. Drag the .deb file into 'private/var/tmp'
7. In OpenSSH, click the command box underneath the "Session" button (it's grey with white letters that almost read "HOM"
8. In the next window (Enter Command) type the following command:
dpkg -i /tmp/<name of file here>.deb
9. Installation takes less than 5 seconds, however the dialogue box will still say "Setting Up..." You can now close OpenSSH.
10. Respring device and run Xfinity Player!

Rman123

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
I used iFile to install the .deb file. It worked on my iPhone 5. But on my iPad 3 everything looked like it went through fine exactly as it did on my iPhone, except I still get the "Sorry, we've experienced problems playing the video" on my iPad with the xFinity Player app. Any idea?

markoffate

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Didn't work on a 4S running 6.1.2

I followed the instructions exactly. Then re-installed again using iFile. Still no joy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Why don't you buy Flex and see if there's a tweak that bypasses the jailbreak check? Those tweaks exists for DirectTV and Skype.

waikikiTed

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Son-uv-a!!!!!! I can not believe that this worked! I've been trying to figure this out for months on my devices.

It worked. Wow. You deserve ultimate respect.

Wow wow wow. It worked.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Beware the latest version of xfinity (1.2.2) is live. No idea if it fixes this. But I wouldn't upgrade anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.