Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
hi,

I have an HP LaserJet 1020 printer. How can I get it to run with my Mac Book Pro??

Is it a PC only printer??

Thanks

Frank

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
A pretty good thread on it here, though the step by step process doesn't seem to be a sure thing.

Here's what's certain: You can use the HP 1022 Mac driver to run the HP 1020 on your MBP. Getting the MBP to recognize the HP 1020 -- well, my experience, and everything I've read, suggests it's going to be trial and error. No matter how frustrated you may get, your Mac and printer will find one another and will function together eventually.

An example: I had a tough time getting the printer to find my PB, and I can't tell you what I did to make it work. Then, for about 2 months, my PB refused to clear to the print queue no matter what I tried (I had to clear it manually). Then, out of nowhere, it started clearing its queue (and has ever since).

Such that:

It will eventually work with the 1022 driver. And once it does, you'll love it.

Good luck -- and try to have fun with the trial and error! Document it and post back if you can.

:)

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I get this bizarre 1022 that looks like an electric piano when I try to print. When I look at my printer list, I get a Design Jet 5000 PS?? I try to print with it, but nothing happens. Now what??

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
You're sure you downloaded the 1022 driver, not the driver for the 1022n (or other versions of the 1022)?

Have you rebooted since the download?

If you've got the right driver and you rebooted, I'd redownload and try again.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I used your reference to the drivers <g>. Seems the computer just can't find the drivers??? I've tried going to HD/Library/Printers/HP/laserjet/1020series and click on any and all of the plugins, but nothing seem to work. Any thoughts??

I dug out my old HP 5550 inkjet that I actually got free (after rebate<g>) with my last Mac almost 4 years ago. It linked up like a charm. No loading drivers etc. I had to clean the print heads, but it works great, but I'd love to use the 1020 laser if I could.

Thanks.

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.