Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017

A nice clean gaming laptop design and it looks pretty well built. I actually think it looks nicer than the Razer blade and certainly everything barring maybe the new thin Alienware models that are also quite sleek for gamers - probably what HP was aiming at with this design?. I really don't like the offset keyboard and trackpad HP seem to use a lot though (maybe something you'd get used to?) so probably not an option as a jack of all trades machine for me. Best part is Ryzen is available out the gate!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I tried the Ryzen model. Fans going even after install. The power button placed next to the delete key was the dealbreaker for me: accidentally shut down the laptop more than once. Offset keyboard was weird. Do not understand the wonky keyboard layouts on gaming laptops.

That said, the build quality was quite good, and I think it’s a decent price for the specs. If you can get past the keyboard being offset and that power button placement, then it might be a good laptop for some folks.

Reactions: Falhófnir

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My daughter is using my old 2012 MBP, which isn't holding up any longer, this laptop looks like it may be a good fit

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Seems like a nice designed laptop. The one thing I hated about all these gaming focused laptops were that they had really strange designs to make it seem like a hardcore gaming machine.

Part of the reason why I like Macbooks are its minimalist designs that don't need to rely on design to show that its a serious machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.