Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
21c1_pavilion_zurg_13_naturalsilver_nt_nonodd_fpr_upccam_win10_coreset_frontright.jpg.png

Had the chance in setting one of these for a client. Damn this machine is nice! It's super light!! Less than 1kg! 13", fingerprint reader, Ryzen 5 5600U, and the 16GB RAM/512GB SSD config is less than $900. For comparison, the base 7-core GPU/8/256 M1 Macbook Air is $1200 in my country.

For ports lovers, this thing has 2 USB-A ports, 1 USB-C port, and 1 HDMI port. The touchpad is actually not bad. The screen is not a touch screen, but let's be realistic, touch screen on a laptop is overrated. :D Another downside is there's no Tunderbolt port because it's AMD.

Setting this up with hours of constant updating, installing apps, and Windows update, it doesn't seem to heat up as bad as many intel laptops I've worked on. It's just warm-ish. Not too shabby. Can't comment on battery life though, but I imagine it's not too far from standard windows laptops. The lightweight is just amazing. I would probably buy this one myself if I had not committed to post-PC workflow on my Android tablet. Many stores I talked to said this thing has been their best sellers so far.

Came with Windows 11 out of the box. Windows is Windows. 11 is prettier, but still annoying, and now Microsoft is forcing online accounts on the Home version (luckily additional accounts can be offline accounts). But Windows 11 annoyances is for another story.

I'm glad AMD is making their ways into new laptops. It brings hope for laptops performance+pricing that makes sense. Intel models are either heavier and/or more expensive. Good job HP!

Reactions: Queen6

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You can get these on sale with 5800u and 16gb ram for $750 and that was on HP.com store. It looks like a great laptop and I almost bought one. The performance on that device should be excellent.

My only gripe and why I didn't buy it was the build and plastic screen.

Here in the USA you can get a current M1 MacBook Air for $899 and I have seen them as low as $799 and for that price it is pretty hard to beat. Considering the prices in your country I would have gone the same route but I am hating Windows 11 very much so I might have waited for the new air or there must be a way to pay at least the MSRP like buying from Apple direct? It is hard to believe that a seller is selling $200 above retail price for a device that is about to be replaced by a new model with a major redesign?? I don't doubt you it just seems crazy they can get away with overcharging you.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You can get these on sale with 5800u and 16gb ram for $750 and that was on HP.com store. It looks like a great laptop and I almost bought one. The performance on that device should be excellent.

My only gripe and why I didn't buy it was the build and plastic screen.

Here in the USA you can get a current M1 MacBook Air for $899 and I have seen them as low as $799 and for that price it is pretty hard to beat. Considering the prices in your country I would have gone the same route but I am hating Windows 11 very much so I might have waited for the new air or there must be a way to pay at least the MSRP like buying from Apple direct? It is hard to believe that a seller is selling $200 above retail price for a device that is about to be replaced by a new model with a major redesign?? I don't doubt you it just seems crazy they can get away with overcharging you.
In my country, Apple doesn’t have an official presence, only authorized distributors selling them. We don’t even have access to BTO models, only whatever Apple made as base pre-configured models.

And yes, those prices are real.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Then it seems that your hands are tied?

Is it an import tax? Don’t they have the same tax on HP laptops too?

I mean it seems like you are being punished if you choose Apple? You can’t order direct from Apple website? Did you order the HP online?

I understand some retailers don’t ship to certain countries which is a shame for those who get a bad deal simply because of where they live.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Then it seems that your hands are tied?

Is it an import tax? Don’t they have the same tax on HP laptops too?

I mean it seems like you are being punished if you choose Apple? You can’t order direct from Apple website? Did you order the HP online?

I understand some retailers don’t ship to certain countries which is a shame for those who get a bad deal simply because of where they live.
Oh even if we calculated taxes based on US MSRP, our prices is still higher… Prior to COVID travel restrictions, most of Indonesians buy their Apple stuff from other countries like Singapore or Hong Kong. ?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I see. I didn't know Indonesia had such high prices and that citizens just travel to other countries to avoid the high cost. Kind of like a US citizen going to Mexico or Canada for medical supplies and medicines.

Yeah Covid has really put a kink in the chain of the globe. I hope you stay safe and healthy!!!

Do you have the HP already because I have a couple of questions as I was seriously considering the unit myself? The screen is plastic? Is it glossy or Matt and is it an ips and does it have decent color and brightness? How is the build quality of the unit? It has a couple of rubber feet on the bottom of the display which lifts the laptop up right? Is the silver finish painted plastic or metal on the laptop body and lid? Does it get fingerprints easily?

Thank you

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
In my country, Apple doesn’t have an official presence, only authorized distributors selling them. We don’t even have access to BTO models, only whatever Apple made as base pre-configured models.

And yes, those prices are real.
Yes many do not realise how poor Apple presence is in most of Asia with no service support etc etc

Another good contender against the HP is the Samsung Galaxy Book Pro and 360, but for all of Samsung stores in Asia the laptops are not sold

In US and even UK you can get some great deals and trade-ins from Samsung

With great port selection, ridiculously light and build quality especially on the 360 with included pen etc plus 13/15" options they are a good alternative to HP and Lenovo slim and light laptops IMO

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I see. I didn't know Indonesia had such high prices and that citizens just travel to other countries to avoid the high cost. Kind of like a US citizen going to Mexico or Canada for medical supplies and medicines.

Yeah Covid has really put a kink in the chain of the globe. I hope you stay safe and healthy!!!

Do you have the HP already because I have a couple of questions as I was seriously considering the unit myself? The screen is plastic? Is it glossy or Matt and is it an ips and does it have decent color and brightness? How is the build quality of the unit? It has a couple of rubber feet on the bottom of the display which lifts the laptop up right? Is the silver finish painted plastic or metal on the laptop body and lid? Does it get fingerprints easily?

Thank you
Ah it's for a client so I don't have it right with me. I'll update when it passes to me again. The body felt metal/aluminum. Build quality felt quite good considering the weight. It's like the HP Envy model on a diet. I don't feel it attracts fingerprints. The screen looked matte to me in a glance, but cannot confirm. As it doesn't have a touch screen either, I don't think it's glass.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So, I finally bought this one for myself.

As some of you might already know, I tried to quit Windows altogether and embraced the "post-PC era" by using the Galaxy Tab S7 FE as my primary computer. And it actually worked great so far.... until I have to use a Windows only app for work. And there's no substitute as the mobile/Android version is not feature parity with the "old" Windows program. Oh highly annoying.

So I decided to get this Pavillion Aero 13, mainly due to its lightweight. It's less than 1kg, and lighter than an iPad Pro with a case ((my friend, who owns the iPad, was impressed).

Annoyances:
- Windows 11 Home online account requirement. It adds more steps to my regular setup flow, having to create a second offline administrator account after.
- Typical bloatware from the usual suspects like McAffee.
- Just first time setup, and there are dozens of updates waiting already.
- Having to get used to Windows 11 UI. I'm used to Windows 10.
- Windows Mail app, although looks pretty, is not good for a desktop app. It cannot even have a separate window for creating new email. Have to use the bloated Outlook instead.
- Wifi already crapping out for no reason. Looking further, there's a BIOS update in Windows 11 optional updates. Installed it and it's okay so far. Still annoying, and you can imagine a lay user being frustrated.
- Only 1 single USB-C port. I mean it's convenient having USB-A port around, but 2 of those and just 1 USB-C port? Feels backward.
- Not fanless like my Galaxy Tab (cannot help it)
- Those stickers. Anyone that can give me tips to easily remove those AMD stickers from the wrist pad area?

Plusses:
- The weight. Can't beat it. Anything else feels heavy now. :D And I don't see HP making an intel version of this line.
- Matte screen.
- Fingerprint sensor. Probably nothing new for most people, but this is my first laptop experience with one (and my Galaxy Tablet doesn't even have any biometric sensors). Convenient.
- Temperature seems more under control than intel. Best test is the first time setup when the system have to install those gajillion updates from Windows Update. The machine does get warm, and fans are running, but not as bad as my experiences with older toasty intel. I compared it when I was resetting my old intel laptop (to sell it), and that one goes way too hot to the touch just updating Windows. Great job AMD.
- 16GB RAM/512GB SSD for less than $800. Yeah take that Apple (base 8/256 M1 Macbook Air in my country is $1200... on sale!!). Most intel laptops will also demand more money for 16GB RAM config. So again, good job AMD.
- Windows 11 gestures (mimicking macOS) is quite useful (eg swipe 3 fingers up for task view).

Seems like this is a great Windows laptop for the money for those looking for lightweight laptops. Software wise, it's Windows (and all the annoyances), but the hardware is great.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Just wanted to add in my take about this laptop instead of making a new thread. I just picked up this laptop for my step son for school and it’s a lot better than I was expecting. I picked up this model for $549 (Canadian) and this has to be the best built laptop I’ve come across for the money.

It’s got the Ryazan 5 Zen 3 5600u, 8gb/512 ssd with a 16:10 1440p ips screen. I didn’t look for a higher spec model since I was just looking for a laptop for him to use for school. Basically wanted something with 8gb of ram, 13”, lightweight and decent battery life. This one checked all the boxes and then some. 2.2lbs magnesium build.

Anyone looking for a cheaper laptop without sacrifice the build quality, this is a great option. It actually appeared on Dave 2D channel today as well as a MacBook Air alternative.

I have a M2 MacBook Air on order and am interested to compare the two for everyday tasks and build quality.

Attachments

• 025EDB3C-6F46-487B-9110-305DC4C5FBEB.jpeg
    025EDB3C-6F46-487B-9110-305DC4C5FBEB.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just wanted to add in my take about this laptop instead of making a new thread. I just picked up this laptop for my step son for school and it’s a lot better than I was expecting. I picked up this model for $549 (Canadian) and this has to be the best built laptop I’ve come across for the money.

It’s got the Ryazan 5 Zen 3 5600u, 8gb/512 ssd with a 16:10 1440p ips screen. I didn’t look for a higher spec model since I was just looking for a laptop for him to use for school. Basically wanted something with 8gb of ram, 13”, lightweight and decent battery life. This one checked all the boxes and then some. 2.2lbs magnesium build.

Anyone looking for a cheaper laptop without sacrifice the build quality, this is a great option. It actually appeared on Dave 2D channel today as well as a MacBook Air alternative.

I have a M2 MacBook Air on order and am interested to compare the two for everyday tasks and build quality.
Wow, that's definitely a good deal. Congrats!
Loving mine so far. Nothing beats the weight, and it makes taking the laptop anywhere seamless. It's like the iPad of Windows PCs. :D
After using it full time for a while, the battery life, although is good for an x86 laptop, is meh. I got used to the better battery life of my Galaxy Tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.