Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I was looking at the available HP-28S and they all show their age. Most notably most of them have the battery access door problem. Given the asking price for units that appear to be functional, and since I want to use it, I don't need a broken down unit as a collectable. The SwissMicros DM-42 a modern version of the HP-42S is $276 USD. This is not much more than the asking price for the originals for sale. It is actually built much better them the original. anodised stainless steel case, Gorilla glass display. it is has a Texas Instrument ARM Cortex-M4F 80 MHz processor and is powered by a coin battery they say is good for at least 3 years. But it retains the IR transmitter to use the HP-82240A/B printer. It has a USB-Micro-B port, to connect with external storage, and download firmware updates. It does not need an internal charger given it's stated battery life. Talk about a gift to give to a student going off to engineering school, he can have that smug look when someone asks where the equal button is.:D

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 11.54.44.png

Last edited:

Edaxxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2022
I was looking at the available HP-28S and they all show their age. Most notably most of them have the battery access door problem. Given the asking price for units that appear to be functional, and since I want to use it, I don't need a broken down unit as a collectable. The SwissMicros DM-42 a modern version of the HP-42S is $276 USD. This is not much more than the asking price for the originals for sale. It is actually built much better them the original. anodised stainless steel case, Gorilla glass display. it is has a Texas Instrument ARM Cortex-M4F 80 MHz processor and is powered by a coin battery they say is good for at least 3 years. But it retains the IR transmitter to use the HP-82240A/B printer. It has a USB-Micro-B port, to connect with external storage, and download firmware updates. It does not need an internal charger given it's stated battery life. Talk about a gift to give to a student going off to engineering school, he can have that smug look when someone asks where the equal button is.:D

View attachment 2237724
Yes it is an excellent calculator. I have two of them, one at home and one at work. The recently introduced DM32 has more modern hardware including an USB-C connection; also very nice but as calculator I prefer the DM42.

Reactions: transmaster

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yes it is an excellent calculator. I have two of them, one at home and one at work. The recently introduced DM32 has more modern hardware including an USB-C connection; also very nice but as calculator I prefer the DM42.

I don't know if it goes against their effort to make calculators that both function as, and resemble, the original HPs but I'd love a version of the 28 form factor but with the larger monochrome screen of the 48-50 series. I'd actually like if it ran the code from that series, but I don't know enough about the code to know if it assumes a certain button set.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I was looking at the price of the HP-35 and I had friends who worked for HP at the time at the Longmont champus. They got a $100 dollar discount on the HP-35 for being employees of HP. They offered to get me one for that price and I didn't even have the free cash for $295 bucks.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I was looking at the price of the HP-35 and I had friends who worked for HP at the time at the Longmont champus. They got a $100 dollar discount on the HP-35 for being employees of HP. They offered to get me one for that price and I didn't even have the free cash for $295 bucks.

Yeah, they were valuable enough that Woz (after working at HP designing calculators) sold his to raise startup capital for Apple.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
With this thread I realize that in MacRumors I have found my Geek/Nerd home. If I had started this thread on some of the forums I am on there would be the sound of crickets in the night.
OMG that is so true - there are so many people here with pretty much every possible tech experience and fascination. And almost all of them are incredibly awesome.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I joined MacRumors on Feb 1, 2010 that is when I purchased my 1st iOS device an iPod Touch 2G. I still have it. With my big iPhones it looks so small. I remember getting flamed for typing "Touch 2G", and not iPod Touch 2G here. For years I didn't get a iPod, or iPod Touch because they did not have replaceable batteries. I had a Sandisk Sansa Clip. It was a good little player. It failed because the port or cable stopped charging it. I finally got my hands on a iPod Touch and I was sold in about 15 seconds. At that time you could send them out for battery replacements. Never needed to do it. It was podcasts the got me going on iPods. I have thought about getting a iPod Classic but I don't think I would ever use it.

I look at these old devices and it amazing how storage capacity has vastly increased in such a short time. I remember I thought I was in hog heaven with an iPod Touch with a whole 64 GB of capacity. My present iPhone 14 Pro Max is one TB, My Mac Studio has 1 TB internal and 19 TB external.

Last edited:
Reactions: heretiq and Queen6

npn

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015

npn

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2015
1690947341454.png

I guess I had a stored photo. Great calculator ... After using this for a few year I remember someone giving me a calculator to borrow and wondering, what do I do with the = sign key :)

RpnCuvee

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
The Hewlett-Packard HP-35 when it was introduced in 1973 it was a total game changer. It single handedly ended the 342 year reign of the slide rule calculator. I remember it so well, in 1972 in the College bookstore I was looking longingly at slide rules I could not afford. Suddenly here was a Hewlett-Packard HP-35 calculator. it did log, and antilog functions, we didn't have to carry around log and antilog tables anymore. I remember muttering 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits. The 1973 HP-35 sold for $395 USD. I remember the envy we felt looking at the engineering students who could afford them walking around with their HP's in leather cases on their belts. The fact they used Reverse Polish Notation was mathematical manna from heaven. By 1980 Slide Rules had all but disappeared.

In the App store all of the classic HP calculators are available. I have all of them loaded most of these were calculators I could never afford. My favorite and the one I mostly use is the HP-45 SD. Interestingly the iPhone 14 ProMax is just about the same size as the actual HP-45. By Emulation these calculators function exactly like the original.

This is a screen shot off of my iPhone 14 Pro Max/

View attachment 2236246
The Hewlett-Packard HP-35 when it was introduced in 1973 it was a total game changer. It single handedly ended the 342 year reign of the slide rule calculator. I remember it so well, in 1972 in the College bookstore I was looking longingly at slide rules I could not afford. Suddenly here was a Hewlett-Packard HP-35 calculator. it did log, and antilog functions, we didn't have to carry around log and antilog tables anymore. I remember muttering 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits. The 1973 HP-35 sold for $395 USD. I remember the envy we felt looking at the engineering students who could afford them walking around with their HP's in leather cases on their belts. The fact they used Reverse Polish Notation was mathematical manna from heaven. By 1980 Slide Rules had all but disappeared.

In the App store all of the classic HP calculators are available. I have all of them loaded most of these were calculators I could never afford. My favorite and the one I mostly use is the HP-45 SD. Interestingly the iPhone 14 ProMax is just about the same size as the actual HP-45. By Emulation these calculators function exactly like the original.

This is a screen shot off of my iPhone 14 Pro Max/

View attachment 2236246
Just a little thank you for using – and even recommending – RPN-45 SD. I created the app back in 2012, one year after the iPad version. For users who don‘t care about the extra functions, there‘s a version called Vintage-45 which only adds a few additional conversions on keys 1 to 6. All models support the „secret” clock, activated by RCL ENTER.
Willy R. Kunz, CuVee Software

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
HP-48SX with the Mechanical Engineering equation cards here; still have it.
Converted to PeachCalc on the Zenith Z-100 as a lieutenant, but still kept that HP in the drawer.
Thanks for the sweet memory jogger!

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Just a little thank you for using – and even recommending – RPN-45 SD. I created the app back in 2012, one year after the iPad version. For users who don‘t care about the extra functions, there‘s a version called Vintage-45 which only adds a few additional conversions on keys 1 to 6. All models support the „secret” clock, activated by RCL ENTER.
Willy R. Kunz, CuVee Software
You are so welcome. As I have pointed out the latest Pro Max iPhones are just about the same size as the original calculators. I also very much like your attention to detail in emulating the original even to how they started up. I suppose this is a detail not many now would pick up on but I sure remember it. People today do not realize the gigantic impact these little machines had on the computational engineering world.

What would be so good is a emulation of the HP-28S. It would have to be on an iPad. There is an emulator but to someone who actually had one it just does not work. On an iPad you could actually open the app with the 28S closed and pull it open with a finger and have a layout just like the original. Of all of the original HP's I had the 28S was my favorite.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Here is the rarest of all HP calculators. The HP-01 Watch. I knew about them, never saw one for real it was very expensive I had a Casio Calculator watch instead. Checked on eBay the HP-01 is priced at up to 6K USD.

This would be an interesting watch to emulate on an Apple Watch.

View attachment 2236798
I now have an Apple Watch and an HP-01 emulator would be a gift from the Math God to us old RPN pilots. I have an Ultra 2. As I said above we had heard about the HP-01 seen pictures of it in the magazines, but we never actually saw one.

Dimensions of the HP-01 are;

2 1/8 x 3 1/8 x 1 5/8 in
40.76 mm across
15.2 mm thick

The Apple Watch Ultra 2
44x49x14.4 mm

How about it CuVee Software an HP-01 Emulator for the Apple Watch. I will be the first in line to load it.

RpnCuvee

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
Nice idea. In fact, I pondered trying to simulate the HP-01 back in January 2017. I collected a folder full of images – some very hi-res – as well as written stuff like the Owner's Guide and the HP Journal of Dec 1977 which was dedicated to the HP-01. I even found an mp3 file of the HP-01's beep sound.
However, I was too occupied with the calculators to start yet another project and eventually forgot about it. Will I ever reconsider? Hard to tell. So many things to do, so little time...

Known bugs of the HP-01: Bugs
Also, there's an HP-01 skin for Free42: HP-01 Skin (scroll down to Khor_Free01) ;)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The intro of the HP-01 featured in the December 1977 issue of the Hewlett-Packard Journal.

Its innards.

View attachment 2290251
That's a great article. I look forward to reading it in detail. The few bits I've scanned through just show the incredible attention to detail HP used to have. Hard to believe the current HP comes from the same stock.

This here is a little miracle as well:
1696621143897.png

Every time I remember this watch and do a search, I find myself really disappointed there are so many wealthy nostalgic nerds. I'd love to have one of these, but can't justify the price.

Reactions: Queen6

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
That's a great article. I look forward to reading it in detail. The few bits I've scanned through just show the incredible attention to detail HP used to have. Hard to believe the current HP comes from the same stock.

View attachment 2290260

Every time I remember this watch and do a search, I find myself really disappointed there are so many wealthy nostalgic nerds. I'd love to have one of these, but can't justify the price.
I was looking at them on eBay $6000 bucks. I just cannot see paying that much. A vintage working Rolax, Heuer, or a Breitling have that kind of value in the horigraphical world but a HP-01 is not considered worth their time and not their money.

Reactions: Analog Kid

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming

View attachment 2290260

I knew HP engineers and a Physicist the worked at the HP Campus that used to be in Loveland, Colorado. I have a lot of inside knowledge of the inner workings at that campus. I remember, and actually briefly used, a 1983 HP-150 desktop Touch Screen computer. I was told the HP wanted to use "let your Fingers to the Walking" but that logo was owned by Yellow Pages. How it worked with a CRT monitor was interesting, the bezel had IR LEDs arranged around the edge with photo sensors to sense were you finger was located on the screen. For it's day it was a very good computer. Sadly HP never recovered from what Carly Fiorina did to it c.2000. Looking at the Apple Watch on my wrist it has many many times then computing power of the HP-150.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 07.22.27.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.