Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Hi there. Does anyone know when or if HP has released scanner drivers for MAC OS X?? Especially the HP Scanjet 5300C.

Cheers

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
have you emailed hp about it?

i had a problem with my farralon skyline wireless networking card in osx and their customer service people directed me to a third party website that made a driver for a number of wireless cards in osx.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I e-mailed them a couple of hours ago. Hopefully in a few days they will get back to me.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
well good luck with that. as i understand it scanners are one of the weaker parts of osx as far as support goes. from what ive read it seems everyone is having similiar problems.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Cheers. I am ok for a month or so because i am using pc! However, I am about to get a mac tower (when new models appear) + cant afford to get a new snanner as well.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I had...

an HP scanjet 5200c... Nice scanner but it only supported SCSI! So it's basically stowed away in a closet right now...:eek:

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I like my 5300 (USB + Parallel) , but I need it to function in OSX before I can conisder buying my new mac.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Introducing...

iScan...

"Steve jobs today launched iScan, eliminating the 3 chains of pain, iScan lets you import and edit your photo's all in one app!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
This is What HP sent Back to me!!

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Customer Care Technical Center.

HP is committed to offering software for Mac OS X. HP has been in the process of updating many current Macintosh driver/software solutions to provide support in the Mac OS X environment. HP ScanJet software originally had been expected to be available Fall 2001, but please refer to the following page for further updates on the availability of HP scanner software for Mac OS X:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpm35006.html

We apologize, but we are not able to provide additional information on software which has not yet been released. In regard to being notified of software updates, HP does have a Macintosh software update service; subscribing to the service will keep you informed of current HP software and driver developments. To subscribe, go to the following page:

http://subscription.support.hp.com/hpss/Home

The current scanner driver or updater software can be obtained through the "update software & drivers" link on the product web site...

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hpscanjet519276.html

These are the only ways to learn of new software updates that are released (apart from calling HP Customer Care).

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Customer Care Technical
Center.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
sounds like a typical customer care bs answer. but was it helpful? i wish companies like this would just flat out tell us if they have no intentions for creating the needed software.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
No help at all! Epecially as I enquired about a scanner + one of the links in the email response is to do with printers! I really do hope that they do release drivers for my scaner because i will be mighty pissed if they dont!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I don't know of

any scanners that currently work in X. Not even epson (the big Mac-friendly driver company) hasn't launched drivers yet... She'sh... maybe we just should all wait for an iScanner..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.