Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016

Just finished Brian Tong’s excellent review and listening test video for the new (2023) HomePod. You can watch for yourself, but basically for the meat of the video he sets up several pairs of smart speakers to compare: two Nest Audios, two Echos (4th-generation), two HomePods (2023), and two original HomePods. He then sits his partner Shauna (who is blindfolded) down to pit two sets against each other at a time in order to come to a clear winner.

Spoiler alert: The original HomePod remains the king of big-label smart speakers.

Results for each round of the test are as follows:
  1. Nest vs. Echo 4 - Echo 4
  2. Echo 4 vs. HP2 - Echo 4
  3. Echo 4 vs. HP1 - HomePod
Shauna, who expected Apple’s newest device to rise well above the competition, was herself surprised by the results.

Obviously not an objective test by any measure but it does offer an interesting glimpse into the probable implications of removing hardware while changing the overall chassis size very little: The sound is going to be “hollow” (Shauna’s verbiage), with harsher separation between elements of a song—whereas before the sound was robust, natural.

Some in the video’s comments are saying that the original HomePod only sounds so good due to years of tuning via updates, but that sounds to me like classic apologism. The original HomePod sounded great right out of the gate. It is quite obviously an issue related to (audio) hardware rather than one of software, and I am disappointed that the hotly-anticipated resurrection of one of my most-loved pieces of audio equipment has to be some watered-down penny-pinching supply-chain Frankenstein like seemingly everything else these days.

At least I can rest easy knowing I would never bring one of these repugnant bastardizations anywhere near my HomePod (2018) let alone attempt to pair (hah—as if it were an equal!) the wretched thing.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just my two cents but people aren't choosing between the Google nest, Amazon, echo, and Apple HomePod, based on sound quality. Just like you're not choosing between a MacBook Pro and Dell XPS for the keyboard layout. Customers are going to choose based on what operating system and ecosystem they're in. I have a great Chromebook with a really nice keyboard, but if I need a Mac, it doesn't matter if the keyboard is nice..

This seems to be a slightly lower spec HomePod and they are selling it at a reduced price, even if you don't count inflation. The original one sounded the best even in this review and it didn't sell. That tells you that sound quality isn't the problem.

People will buy this HomePod, or at least people that want a HomePod because the original one isn't available and they probably don't work Google listening in at their house. Maybe some people do in those people will probably buy the Google nest.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Are there any reviews comparing HomePod 2 sound quality to something a bit more audiophile?

Reactions: coso

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I buy speakers based on sound. I am glad to have four HomePods gen1.
There are speakers so far ahead of HomePod when it comes to sound quality. If you think the OG HomePod sounds good, you're going to be amazed when you hear an actual high quality speaker set up.

Reactions: Basic75

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
There are speakers so far ahead of HomePod when it comes to sound quality. If you think the OG HomePod sounds good, you're going to be amazed when you hear an actual high quality speaker set up.
To be fair. There are a lot of “audiophiles” who have heaped praise on the OG HomePod. Even all of the negative reviews from 2018 heaped praise on the sound quality.

To make it sound like any REAL audio enthusiast despises the HomePod smacks of pissing in someone’s cereal bowl.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
To be fair. There are a lot of “audiophiles” who have heaped praise on the OG HomePod. Even all of the negative reviews from 2018 heaped praise on the sound quality.

To make it sound like any REAL audio enthusiast despises the HomePod smacks of pissing in someone’s cereal bowl.
I wasn't implying that it anyone despises it, just that it's not on the same category as higher end speakers. I don't personally have the OG HomePod, but I've heard them and they sound excellent but I've also heard really nice speakers and that's a different category. Apple can only charge so much for the thing so there are limits. I was just saying that if your main concern is the best audio quality, then I don't think the HomePod is the best choice. If you want a Siri voice assistant and speakers for the TV that sound good, then go with the HomePod(s). I wouldn't piss in anyone's Cheerios and say they made a bad choice. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I love the concept of framing your testing as some type of valid measure, only to have it boil down to “she likes the sound of this one better”.

Why dress it up as objective? This was a preference test, nothing more.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
I love the concept of framing your testing as some type of valid measure, only to have it boil down to “she likes the sound of this one better”.

No one said it was objective. Just a blind test.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
He then sits his partner Shauna (who is blindfolded) down to pit two sets against each other
For all the recent debates over YouTube reviewers, we never considered the plight of their families... Who speaks for the Shauna's of the world?

"Honey, I'm going to blindfold you in our kitchen because you might be a little better than the fake ears, make an oblique public reference to our kinks, spend our Saturday listening to the same stuff over and over, then stick a camera in your face to hear what words you say and tell the world I think they should listen to you because you're average and without particularly discerning taste."

• Haha
Reactions: jonnyb098

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Tomtad - I’m not disagreeing with you but I wonder why you think Dolby is a variable? No one has the HomePod 2 yet so how do we know it makes a difference?
It is. The spatial audio setting is killing the bass. I’ve spent all evening listening and verifying.

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Her preference, his preference, my preference. Felt pretty clear and obvious to me, the difference is not even subtle (as all the other reviews keep saying, without doing actual side by side testing).

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

Just finished Brian Tong’s excellent review and listening test video for the new (2023) HomePod. You can watch for yourself, but basically for the meat of the video he sets up several pairs of smart speakers to compare: two Nest Audios, two Echos (4th-generation), two HomePods (2023), and two original HomePods. He then sits his partner Shauna (who is blindfolded) down to pit two sets against each other at a time in order to come to a clear winner.

Spoiler alert: The original HomePod remains the king of big-label smart speakers.

Results for each round of the test are as follows:
  1. Nest vs. Echo 4 - Echo 4
  2. Echo 4 vs. HP2 - Echo 4
  3. Echo 4 vs. HP1 - HomePod
Shauna, who expected Apple’s newest device to rise well above the competition, was herself surprised by the results.

Obviously not an objective test by any measure but it does offer an interesting glimpse into the probable implications of removing hardware while changing the overall chassis size very little: The sound is going to be “hollow” (Shauna’s verbiage), with harsher separation between elements of a song—whereas before the sound was robust, natural.

Some in the video’s comments are saying that the original HomePod only sounds so good due to years of tuning via updates, but that sounds to me like classic apologism. The original HomePod sounded great right out of the gate. It is quite obviously an issue related to (audio) hardware rather than one of software, and I am disappointed that the hotly-anticipated resurrection of one of my most-loved pieces of audio equipment has to be some watered-down penny-pinching supply-chain Frankenstein like seemingly everything else these days.

At least I can rest easy knowing I would never bring one of these repugnant bastardizations anywhere near my HomePod (2018) let alone attempt to pair (hah—as if it were an equal!) the wretched thing.
Having spent time with my 2nd gens, I know exactly why this was happening to Brian.
At first I thought it was due to spatial audio, which DOES reduce the bass, but I think Brian's setup was the issue.
Hear me out..
The 2nd gen HomePod has sensors that adjust the EQ when it is moved. So did the OG, but the new HomePod is a heck of a lot more sensitive at this, you will hear a shift in sound - a dramatic one which begins really flat and bright. It takes the length of a song for the HomePod to readjust and fix this, and I dont think Brian's test took this into account.

If you have a 2nd gen HomePod, try this yourself.

This also explains all the mixed first impression reviews.

• Wow

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Having spent time with my 2nd gens, I know exactly why this was happening to Brian.
At first I thought it was due to spatial audio, which DOES reduce the bass, but I think Brian's setup was the issue.
Hear me out..
The 2nd gen HomePod has sensors that adjust the EQ when it is moved. So did the OG, but the new HomePod is a heck of a lot more sensitive at this, you will hear a shift in sound - a dramatic one which begins really flat and bright. It takes the length of a song for the HomePod to readjust and fix this, and I dont think Brian's test took this into account.

If you have a 2nd gen HomePod, try this yourself.

This also explains all the mixed first impression reviews.
I am so very curious to find out if this or something like this turns out to be accurate. I will do it’s not unlike Apple do you have introduced products that were objectively worse to the masses (butterfly keyboard) and subjectively worse (iOS7) than before, I have a very hard time believing they would re-introduced the HomePod with significantly noticeably worse performance.

On the other hand, like many have reported, I am surprised Apple has not touted why the new one is better than the previous one, and/or does more with less. That is a bit suspicious and out of ordinary.

With the butterfly keyboard, it was pretty easy for many to make a quick determination of worse performance based on feel or durability/stickiness. But with the HomePod, it’s a bit trickier due the subjectivity of how people perceive sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.