Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Well, HomeKit has been working nearly flawlessly for me for over a year, so I guess it's time for some problems, right?

I noticed a couple days ago that none of my cameras were giving me recording notifications. So I checked, and sure enough, right around noon on Monday is the last recording for any of them. No changes of equipment, or software configuration for a long time. No events that happened that I'm aware of. All five cameras (three different brands) show the red "recording" light, and can be live-streamed, but none are recording. The settings are proper to allow them to record (and have not changed).

I removed one camera from the home during troubleshooting and re added it. However, when attempting to set it to record, the wheel just spins forever. Only the blue "streaming" light shows for this camera.

Bottom line, cameras show they can record, but don't. No changes to my system whatsoever. I have an iCloud plan that allows for recordings.

Anyone else experience this issue or have any ideas on what to do?

Resetting Home is not an option. I have an Aqara hub with about 30 child devices, a Lutron hub with lights for nearly my entire home and many automations that took FOREVER to set up properly.

TIA

bobmoore1954

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
Same problem here this morning. Worked perfectly before now, not at all. I can see live video, I can see previously recorded video. I rebooted cameras, unplugged/replugged cameras. No help. Everything else on HomeKit system is working normally.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
I can't verify this will do anything for you, but for me when this happens sporadically where one camera would randomly stop recording and only stream, what usually fixes it is restarting the current active home hub.

I do hope for this issue to stop happening completely though. This is only workable if I can check my cameras several times a day for these errors, but it's a bit upsetting if I couldn't check them and one day find out a camera has missed several days of (potentially important) footage.

Last edited:

bobmoore1954

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
I tried everything I could think of to restore motion detection/recording. Nothing I did helped.

But this morning, everything is working again. Probably Apple working on the server end of HomeKit (again). I sure wished HomeKit was more stable and/or Apple was more transparent about problems and fixes.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I tried everything I could think of to restore motion detection/recording. Nothing I did helped.

But this morning, everything is working again. Probably Apple working on the server end of HomeKit (again). I sure wished HomeKit was more stable and/or Apple was more transparent about problems and fixes.

Couldn’t agree more. Their arrogance precludes them from treating their customers with respect by being transparent about issues. And HomeKit is a joke. Its reliability has, without question for me, got worse over the years. And on HomePod it is

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I can't verify this will do anything for you, but for me when this happens sporadically where one camera would randomly stop recording and only stream, what usually fixes it is restarting the current active home hub.

I do hope for this issue to stop happening completely though. This is only workable if I can check my cameras several times a day for these errors, but it's a bit upsetting if I couldn't check them and one day find out a camera has missed several days of (potentially important) footage.
Thanks for the help.

Restarting the active hub was actually one of the first things I tried (at the time it was an ATV). The hub switched to a HomePod, but did not fix anything (except that the rest of my automations got a little slower, it seems).

However, after a few days, everything started working properly again. Still don't know what the issue was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.