Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,

I do not have knowledge in Web sites development but I would like to modify a template that I have found, in order to prepare a basic site for my activity.

The modifications I would like to make, are pretty easy and also the template is a basic one.

I am wondering what would be a good HTML and CSS editor (WYSIWYG) to buy for my purpose.

Thanks for helping,
daniele

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Hello,

I do not have knowledge in Web sites development but I would like to modify a template that I have found, in order to prepare a basic site for my activity.

The modifications I would like to make, are pretty easy and also the template is a basic one.

I am wondering what would be a good HTML and CSS editor (WYSIWYG) to buy for my purpose.

Thanks for helping,
daniele

There are multiple that you can use for free if you'd like.
I am a front end developer and for work I use mainly Dreamweaver since the company bought tha packages, But I absolutely HATE dreamweaver.

So I began using these 2 apps:
https://atom.io/ & https://www.sublimetext.com/

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
There are multiple that you can use for free if you'd like.
I am a front end developer and for work I use mainly Dreamweaver since the company bought tha packages, But I absolutely HATE dreamweaver.

So I began using these 2 apps:
https://atom.io/ & https://www.sublimetext.com/

Thnaks for advising.

I have noticed atom.io is free. How would you compare with a paid software like sublimetext or UltraEdit?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Thnaks for advising.

I have noticed atom.io is free. How would you compare with a paid software like sublimetext or UltraEdit?

I also have sublime (which i have for free?) but I prefer atom over that, and also the editor called brackets

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
My preferred free editor is Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

But hey, editors and preferences are so personal. For a beginner and a one off modification of a template I wouldn't spend any money on anything.

Now I make money developing software including websites, so to me it makes sense to pay money for full fledged environments like what Jetbrains offers for example. However there is nothing that I do in Jetbrains that couldn't be done in any of the free editors that are available. It is just that when you do a lot of it and often and with very large projects the pro versions can make life a bit easier....

Reactions: dcaccount

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
My preferred free editor is Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

But hey, editors and preferences are so personal. For a beginner and a one off modification of a template I wouldn't spend any money on anything.

Now I make money developing software including websites, so to me it makes sense to pay money for full fledged environments like what Jetbrains offers for example. However there is nothing that I do in Jetbrains that couldn't be done in any of the free editors that are available. It is just that when you do a lot of it and often and with very large projects the pro versions can make life a bit easier....

I have never heard of jetbrains, but I actually just graduated and got a job for a web development company, in which they use dreamweaver and it is absolutely freaking horrible! Lol

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Oh gosh yes I really don’t like dreamweaver. I find that it can’t keep up with me and that it’s too slow.

But I know a few guys and girls who would say the same of Jetbrains IntelliJ for example. They’d prefer something like TextMate.

Reactions: npolly0212

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Oh gosh yes I really don’t like dreamweaver. I find that it can’t keep up with me and that it’s too slow.

But I know a few guys and girls who would say the same of Jetbrains IntelliJ for example. They’d prefer something like TextMate.

That’s what I have noticed. I’ve always run into multiple occasions of dreamweaver messing up on me when I develop some emails/email templates!

Trying to find a better one to tell my boss to buy to use but mot sure what to look into

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
That’s what I have noticed. I’ve always run into multiple occasions of dreamweaver messing up on me when I develop some emails/email templates!

Trying to find a better one to tell my boss to buy to use but mot sure what to look into
It depends a bit on the organisation, in my experience suggestions like that can go both ways ;)

I always welcome feedback from my teams, I try to recruit people who will be better than me and one day I'd love to work for them. I think that benefits the organisation, and whilst starting out I may have years of experience advantage but that doesn't mean I know everything that is current and valid, so I listen...

However I've also seen many an organisation where the 'bosses' don't take Kindly to suggestions. It's up to you to assess and determine your own situation.

Good luck :)

Reactions: npolly0212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.