Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spriter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Seems like an interesting device, especially from a camera perspective with the dual lens and Leica integration.

Main specs:

5.2 inch @ 1080p (IPS)
Dual 12 MP, f/2.2, 27 mm, Leica
8mp front camera
145 x 70.9 x 7 mm, 144g
3/4GB RAM
Kirin 955 / Mali T880
6.0 with EMUI skin
32/64gb with Micro SD slot
Type C
3,000mAh non-removable battery
Rear finger scanner
599/649 euros

Also a Plus 5.5 model with bigger battery.

Usually I'd not be too interested but it looks quite nice and the optics sound interesting. Need to see more evidence though in comparison to the S7, G5, and the M10 now HTC are making bold claims about their camera.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Seems like an interesting device, especially from a camera perspective with the dual lens and Leica integration.

Main specs:

5.2 inch @ 1080p (IPS)
8mp front camera
145 x 70.9 x 7 mm, 144g
3/4GB RAM
Kirin 955 / Mali T880
6.0 with EMUI skin
Type C
Rear finger scanner
599/649 euros

Usually I'd not be too interested but it looks quite nice and the optics sound interesting. Need to see more evidence though in comparison to the S7, G5, and the M10 now HTC are making bold claims about their camera.

Looks pretty solid. Especially the camera. I think it has an adjustable aperture, based on what I saw in that video on the MacRumors front page. I've also heard that it goes up to ƒ/1.1. Not sure if that's good news for out of focus subjects, but it would be a pretty amazing feat for light allowance.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I read few things on this today. I am looking at the P9 Plus when it becomes available.
Huawei is making some very nice phones. Battery life and camera should be great! But that EMUI skin takes some getting used to.....

Reactions: Fireblade and Subu

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Main specs:

5.2 inch @ 1080p (IPS)
8mp front camera
145 x 70.9 x 7 mm, 144g
3/4GB RAM
Kirin 955 / Mali T880
6.0 with EMUI skin
Type C
Rear finger scanner
599/649 euros

TBH at €649 Euro - I'd rather spend same and get the S7 or €50-100 more and get the S7 Edge .... It's nice but the 'premium' flagship device area / price range is quite cluttered.

Had the P9 come out at €399-450 I think would stand a better chance of succeeding and persuading folk to move from the two giants (Samsung & Apple), but as it currently is - I just wouldn't personally spend that much on it.

Reactions: Subu

spriter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Price does look a bit toppy considering they were running small margins just a few years ago and aren't as established as most manufacturers yet (at least in US/EU).

The last Huawei I had was a 6-inch 1080p Mediapad X1 for £180. Shame it was let down by an iffy processor and pretty awful skin - EMUI v2 - so I'd hope they've made major progress since then.

Gonna see how the reviews and Chinese prices fare to see if we're being stung. Could be a tough sell against the S7, SE, 6S, M10, G5 etc but the Leica tie-in does get my attention.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Actually looks good. Is this making its way to the US? Is this their flagship device?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm guessing the Leica brand and tech don't come cheap.

Yeah and no ... It's much like the Karl Zeiss branding on some phones. It sounds good to casual user but reality is doesn't necessarily mean quality. There are many degrees of quality with Leica and they have put out some really rubbish cheap lenses in the past. But generally they are well respected. But I would guess the tech / cost of the lens isn't that much of a difference over its previous flagship range camera modules especially bought / supplied In bulk, that it alone would contribute significantly to the premium ...

It's not like Leica are fitting and calibrating each lens module at source ...

And end of day, Leica are no Hasselblad ;)

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I don't know much about Huawei

What are the key differentiators between their Mate and P series?

I'm assuming their Honor series is their budget/mid-range line?

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
A friend of mine got a review unit, the back camera(s) handily beat the iPhone 6s'. But the front; barely.

Oh and the OS is a great imitation of iOS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
A friend of mine got a review unit, the back camera(s) handily beat the iPhone 6s'. But the front; barely.

Oh and the OS is a great imitation of iOS.
Nice! Which model P9 did he get? How was the battery life? Did he publish a review?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Well the camera seems the real deal which is the main selling point.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p9-review-1428.php

BUT... the GPU seems meh and there's no 4K video (wtf).

Just curious, why does 4K video matter to you? The phone itself is FHD, so you won't be able to play it back on the phone, or anything other than a 4K television, monitor or laptop.
Not attacking your views, I just want to find out why it matters to you.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Hi

Since you mentioned "Stock" android, could you please help me with this question (I'm looking for Mid range NON nexus phones running stock or near stock Android )

Here's the detailed question IF you have the time

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...close-to-stock-android-usd-250-or-so.1967878/

thanks in advance
regards
Subu

My recommendations would be a Moto G ($200), OnePlus X ($250), or possibly 2nd Gen Moto X Pure Edition(~$250). These 3 phones are really good, and I have personally used the Moto X 2 as a daily driver before and still have it. It's an excellent phone. I have heard numerous good things about the Moto G so I'd look at that, especially since it has a low price and MicroSD expansion.

I'd recommend those 3 phones though, they are all really good.

spriter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2004
Just curious, why does 4K video matter to you? The phone itself is FHD, so you won't be able to play it back on the phone, or anything other than a 4K television, monitor or laptop.
Not attacking your views, I just want to find out why it matters to you.

I've a 4K TV so it's a must for me. Even if I didn't, I think I'd still want the option for future proofing memories.

I'm puzzled why either Huawei can't do 4K on it or a purposely disabling it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pulled the trigger and should have a White Huawei P9 64GB tomorrow. Can't wait to get this baby.

Last edited:
Reactions: spriter and MRU

spriter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2004
I debated and so very nearly picked one up. It's a good 30% less than the usual flagships here and very well made. Would make a great phone for a lot of people.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I debated and so very nearly picked one up. It's a good 30% less than the usual flagships here and very well made. Would make a great phone for a lot of people.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.
I read a lot of reviews first so I know its strengths and weaknesses. I think it will fit my needs rather well. Great camera, great fit and finish...especially the ceramic white i ordered. Great performance and battery life. Can't wait to get it. It's one weakness is shooting video but I don't do that so not an issue for me.

Reactions: spriter and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.