Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, the Trump administration added Huawei to a trade blacklist over national security concerns, effectively forbidding U.S. companies from doing business with the Chinese smartphone and telecom giant.

huawei-apple-logos.jpg

As the U.S.-China trade war continues to escalate, it has been suggested that China could retaliate to the Huawei ban by enforcing a similar ban on a large American company like Apple. However, even Huawei's own founder Ren Zhengfei admitted that he would oppose such a move, offering praise for the iPhone maker.

Speaking through a translator, Ren told Bloomberg that Apple is both the "world's leading company" and his "teacher":
That will not happen, first of all. And second of all, if that happens, I'll be the first to protest. Apple is the world's leading company. If there was no Apple, there would be no mobile internet. If there was no Apple to help show us the world, we would not see the beauty of this world. Apple is my teacher -- it's advancing in front of us. As a student, why should I oppose my teacher? I would never do that.
Last week, investment firm Goldman Sachs warned that Apple's per-share earnings could take a 29 percent hit if China stops importing its products.

Ren appeared confident that Huawei can prevail despite the U.S. trade ban, suggesting that the company will ramp up its in-house technologies if necessary. Huawei already designs its own Kirin processors for some smartphones, but that relies on ARM, which severed ties with Huawei after the U.S. trade ban.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Huawei's Founder Says He Would 'Protest' if China Retaliates Against Apple Over U.S. Trade Ban

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Uh, oh.

So much for all the people "hoping" China would retaliate. This guy is smart - he knows how much Apple means to the Chinese economy and how much revenue/employment they generate. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is never good business practice.

I also think that by praising Apple he's hinting that they don't want to see this trade war escalate and would like to come to a settlement. So he's avoiding being critical of Apple.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Uh, oh.

So much for all the people "hoping" China would retaliate. This guy is smart - he knows how much Apple means to the Chinese economy and how much revenue/employment they generate. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is never good business practice.

I also think that by praising Apple he's hinting that they don't want to see this trade war escalate and would like to come to a settlement. So he's avoiding being critical of Apple.

It's all politics.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Uh, oh.

yeah i dont see china retaliating against apple either, they employee over 1m jobs in china indrectly through foxconn and what not. maybe if china goes after intel since most of their chips are made outside of china.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
yeah i dont see china retaliating against apple either, they employee over 1m jobs in china indrectly through foxconn and what not. maybe if china goes after intel since most of their chips are made outside of china.

1.3 million. Plus the employees of all of the other manufacturers in the supply chain that make the components. Million upon millions of jobs.

https://247wallst.com/jobs/2017/03/...lion-jobs-in-china-more-than-double-us-total/ says 4.8 million total jobs in China because of Apple; and that was 2017 too

Huawei isn't in massive trouble over this either. Remember, the bulk of their devices go to China where google services are banned anyway. Losing the Google apps is no loss there. So their own operating system and app store over AOSP can work over there.

But my guess is this is Huawei backing off playing nice knowing they really do need this turned around as they need Microsoft (laptops), Google (phones), the chipmakers (components and tech for their own chips), SD Card consortium (they cant even build an SD Card slot in going forward), etc that they are current banned from.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I hate Huawei and I’m not afraid to admit it. I hope they fail. In fact, I hope more Chinese companies fail and more manufacturing comes stateside. Go Apple! Go USA! Long live the iPhone!
I mean, they were at least trying to innovate and make other companies move and try to compete with new ideas. Less competition means less innovation happening.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Considering iPhones are predominantly made in China no one would expect him to say anything else. US banning Huawei then China banning Apple would be a double whammy to China. For the best interest of the West, allies and friendly countries, electronics manufacturing should be diversified to other countries. Samsung, for example, is already diversified in South Korea, Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Brazil, India, etc. so Apple needs to catch up.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Uh, oh.

He wants to be able to continue stealing technology and it's easier if they're manufacturing inside the country.
[doublepost=1558981738][/doublepost]
Because they need someone in the front to take the heat and copy them?

Hauwai is introducing the butterfly keyboard?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Business people worry about their business. Huawei is better off if the US and China ease tensions. Apple is in the same position. They aren't actually trying to eliminate each other.

Reactions: Lazy

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
the fact that trump said he will make trouble go away for huawei as soon as the trade war is settled basically makes me take him less seriously when he said its about national security
I hate Huawei and I’m not afraid to admit it. I hope they fail. In fact, I hope more Chinese companies fail and more manufacturing comes stateside. Go Apple! Go USA! Long live the iPhone!
if everyone in other countries share your sentiment trust me all us companies would fail immediately, without china buick wouldve folded like hummer, pontiac, etc.

chinese companies arent the one to blame for factories and manu closing in the us, blame apple and other big companies for shipping the jobs oversea in the first place.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
How would Huawei have new product without devices to reverse engineer and copy? Oh wait that applies to all of China and the corporate shill CEOs that have willingly given up IP to the commies to be promised access to markets only to find out its all sham just to make themselves look good on the balance sheet for a few decades.

Reactions: pxxalex and pshufd

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
China has better, smarter ways of retaliating against the U.S. They are playing the long game, the U.S. is playing the short game. As soon as the U.S. hits a recession and people start feeling the pain, the trade war will become very unpopular. China doesn’t have elected leaders — they’re willing to close down towns, watch unemployment rise etc. As such, they have a much stronger stomach for this kind of thing, and they know in the end the U.S. will buckle to the pressure first.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
China has better, smarter ways of retaliating against the U.S. They are playing the long game, the U.S. is playing the short game. As soon as the U.S. hits a recession and people start feeling the pain, the trade war will become very unpopular. China doesn’t have elected leaders — they’re willing to close down towns, watch unemployment rise etc. As such, they have a much stronger stomach for this kind of thing, and they know in the end the U.S. will buckle to the pressure first.

Kyle Bass - made his fortune shorting subprime mortgages in 2006 talking to Keith McCulloch on China. With charts.

If you think that it's easy to manage over a billion people who have expectations, you are a political neophyte. What does a billion people rioting in the streets look like?

What is China's biggest problem?

Reactions: dabotsonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.