Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello,

my 2014 i7 Mini is ready for retirement but not before the next 6 months when, hopefully, I can switch to a Studio, in the meantime it has to keep going and I will anyways dedicate it as a media server and as such looking at to expand ports and storage and was wondering, besides the Satechi, which other dock brand can I look at to buy, the Satechi for my old Mini are hard to find, there is plenty with the USB-C compatibility but doesn't make sense to convert the old USB to a C, any suggestion at what to look at?

Grazie

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you're going to get a new Mac mini, I'd get the Satechi USB-C and use an adapter to plug it into your USB-A on the 2014 mini. The Satechi isn't doing anything fancy; should work fine with an adapter - just a little slower.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
If you're going to get a new Mac mini, I'd get the Satechi USB-C and use an adapter to plug it into your USB-A on the 2014 mini. The Satechi isn't doing anything fancy; should work fine with an adapter - just a little slower.
I will probably get aStudio to replace my 2014 Mini so I won't use the hub with other than the mini

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Maybe take advantage of that Thunderbolt 2 connection: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DK14PSB/ and one from Caldigit called Thunderstation 2.

I wouldn't really jump on the "brand" concept as I find that some products from a brand can be great and others not great. Instead, I'd do some research product by product and check reviews.

If the goal is media serving, Thunderbolt would be overkill, so you could just get any old thing that will connect to the USB ports unless you have a lot of simultaneous demand on media from that server. If there are bunch of AppleTVs or iDevices in your home possibly wanting access to stored media at the same time, more speed than the USB on that Mini may matter.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I am not tied to the Satechi for any particular reason other than the same form factor as the Mini to keep the whole thing more consistent, I don't want too many cables and stuff running around on the desk so the idea of a box same as the Mini that can stack looks fine.

Grazie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.