Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Hey All!

So currently Im using the iPad mini 4 as a hib for my homekit. Currently I dont have much on there yet, a kwikset lock and 5 LIFX bulbs. But lately Ive been noticing Homekit just being much more glitchy (specifically with the bulbs). When using the LIFX app, the response is nearly immediate and accurate. Scenes exported from LIFX to HOMEKIT dont seem to "save". When selecting a scene from HOMEKIT, only some bulbs will change. Go to the LIFX app and apply the scene, it will do it correctly the first time.

Similarly, sometimes the LIFX bulbs show "no response" but clicking it on and off will correct this 80% of the time. However, again when they show "no response" but I go to the LIFX, they respond with no issue.

Is homekit-LIFX just buggy? Is my old iPad being the hub a difference (in events of it disconnecting from wifi or something when its locked). Would getting an Apple TV 4K work better as a hub to improve homekit performance?

Thanks!

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Hey All!

So currently Im using the iPad mini 4 as a hib for my homekit. Currently I dont have much on there yet, a kwikset lock and 5 LIFX bulbs. But lately Ive been noticing Homekit just being much more glitchy (specifically with the bulbs). When using the LIFX app, the response is nearly immediate and accurate. Scenes exported from LIFX to HOMEKIT dont seem to "save". When selecting a scene from HOMEKIT, only some bulbs will change. Go to the LIFX app and apply the scene, it will do it correctly the first time.

Similarly, sometimes the LIFX bulbs show "no response" but clicking it on and off will correct this 80% of the time. However, again when they show "no response" but I go to the LIFX, they respond with no issue.

Is homekit-LIFX just buggy? Is my old iPad being the hub a difference (in events of it disconnecting from wifi or something when its locked). Would getting an Apple TV 4K work better as a hub to improve homekit performance?

Thanks!
Loved the LIFX bulbs but they kept disappearing on my network. I got tired of resetting them and having to rejoin them. I replaced them with more hue lights.

I think using the hue bridge has been more stable whether using Home or the hue app for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.