Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
Hi all, my Hue lights used to vary their temperature based on time of day, ending up warm white at the end of the day. Now after the HomeKit update this appears to have vanished. Anyone know how to get this back? Thanks

Reactions: Vref

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Hi all, my Hue lights used to vary their temperature based on time of day, ending up warm white at the end of the day. Now after the HomeKit update this appears to have vanished. Anyone know how to get this back? Thanks

I'm unaware of any HomeKit automation that could do something like this. HomeKit isn't even advanced enough to have timers.

How is this being accomplished? Is there something in the bulb, hub, bridge, or app that makes this happen?

Maybe you have to contact Philips?

According to their webpage:

"The Hue Bridge is a smart lighting hub. It stores all your customizations and settings, while giving you access to automations, away-from-home control, and more."

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Go into the setting for the light bulb and see if the Adaptive Lighting feature is selected (the circle with the Sun icon in it pictured below). I’ve had it go away in the past but a refresh of the Home app and reboot of the iPhone would bring it back.

1680742633887.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dotme and sparky672

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm unaware of any HomeKit automation that could do something like this. HomeKit automations have triggers based on sunrise, sunset, or a specific time of day, but nothing that makes gradual changes as the clock progresses. HomeKit isn't even advanced enough to have timers.

How is this being accomplished? Do you have a whole bunch of HomeKit automations each triggered at a different time? Or is there something in the bulb, hub, bridge, or app that makes this happen?

Maybe you have to contact Philips?

According to their webpage:
It’s from a HomeKit feature called “Adaptive Lighting.” Think it came out in iOS 14 or something like that. Works pretty good and I’m a huge fan of it. In the middle of the day, color temperature changing lights will be bright white but at night or early morning, they would change to warmer white. Supposed to be for circadian health. Few companies offer. Two I know of are Philips Hue and Nanoleaf.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
It’s from a HomeKit feature called “Adaptive Lighting.” Think it came out in iOS 14 or something like that. Works pretty good. In the middle of the day, color temperature changing lights will be bright white but at night or early morning, they would change to warmer white. Supposed to be for circadian health. Few companies offer. Two I know of are Philips Hue and Nanoleaf.

Ok thanks. I edited my post because I had no idea what I was talking about. 🤣

Reactions: Itinj24

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Supposed to be for circadian health.

For sure. Also super ironic since we're talking about LED bulbs, which couldn't be more harmful to circadian health and eyeballs, next to watching TV and using small screens in the dark.

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
It’s all kool and the gang. We’re all here to supply info and take it in at the same time. What makes this small MR sub forum so great 😀.
That’s why I like this forum. :)

Go into the setting for the light bulb and see if the Adaptive Lighting feature is selected (the circle with the Sun icon in it pictured below). I’ve had it go away in the past but a refresh of the Home app and reboot of the iPhone would bring it back.

View attachment 2185120
Thanks, I couldn’t remember what the function was called as it was ages ago I set it up. I agree it is a brilliant function.

I have tried quitting the home app and rebooting my iPhone but the symbol is still gone. :(
IMG_9322.png

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That’s why I like this forum. :)

Thanks, I couldn’t remember what the function was called as it was ages ago I set it up. I agree it is a brilliant function.

I have tried quitting the home app and rebooting my iPhone but the symbol is still gone. :( View attachment 2185201
Hmm, I remember reading somewhere that some users tried the beta to update their Hue bridge to support Matter (believe it was only in beta and not yet public release) and since Matter doesn’t support Adaptive Lighting, the feature was removed. By chance, did you download the software to enable Matter on your Hue Bridge? I haven’t updated all my devices to 16.4 yet and thusly still on the old architecture but this makes me nervous now. I absolutely love the Adaptive Lighting feature and was actually the main reason I went back to Hue from using smart switches.

You can also try rebooting your Hue Bridge and/or your network and Home Hub(s). This was definitely something I’ve seen before but it was a short lived glitch and I do recall it happening after some kind of update.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
For sure. Also super ironic since we're talking about LED bulbs, which couldn't be more harmful to circadian health and eyeballs, next to watching TV and using small screens in the dark.
Yeah, true but I’m guessing this is the only way to mimic an incandescent light burning at 2700K since LED lighting is the present and foreseeable future. Hey, at least with LED, we should be saving on energy costs.

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
Hmm, I remember reading somewhere that some users tried the beta to update their Hue bridge to support Matter (believe it was only in beta and not yet public release) and since Matter doesn’t support Adaptive Lighting, the feature was removed. By chance, did you download the software to enable Matter on your Hue Bridge? I haven’t updated all my devices to 16.4 yet and thusly still on the old architecture but this makes me nervous now. I absolutely love the Adaptive Lighting feature and was actually the main reason I went back to Hue from using smart switches.

You can also try rebooting your Hue Bridge and/or your network and Home Hub(s). This was definitely something I’ve seen before but it was a short lived glitch and I do recall it happening after some kind of update.
Success!!

I shut down all the AirPods, and Apple TV. Left it a while then restarted them. On reboot the Adaptive Lighting is back.

Thanks for the help.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Yeah, true but I’m guessing this is the only way to mimic an incandescent light burning at 2700K since LED lighting is the present and foreseeable future.

I prefer to seek out incandescent, such as halogen, wherever I can. The proven harm to eyes/brain, disrupted sleep, extra cost, cool colors, affects of temp/humidity on the electronics, additional electronics waste, heavy metals, and imperceptible flicker that is still affecting some people in the form of headaches, it's all just not worth it to me.

True, no different than an iPhone, computer display, or television screen; except at night when the entire house is filled with nothing but LED light so it's the only thing your retina is absorbing.

As far as the smart-home, I am opting for smart switches and plugs over smart bulbs, so I can continue to use the kinds of lamps I prefer.

Hey, at least with LED, we should be saving on energy costs.

Actually it's not that simple. The so-called "wasted" energy of incandescent bulbs is in the form of heat. For many parts of the country, such as the Midwest, where it's cool or colder 8 - 9 months out of the year, a heat by-product is rarely wasted. A watt is a watt. The heat energy from incandescent bulbs is offsetting your home's heating by this exact same amount during the time of year when days are shorter and the bulbs are used the most.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I prefer to seek out incandescent, such as halogen, wherever I can. The proven harm to eyes/brain, disrupted sleep, extra cost, cool colors, affects of temp/humidity on the electronics, additional electronics waste, heavy metals, and imperceptible flicker that is still affecting some people in the form of headaches, it's all just not worth it to me.

True, no different than an iPhone, computer display, or television screen; except at night when the entire house is filled with nothing but LED light so it's the only thing your retina is absorbing.

As far as the smart-home, I am opting for smart switches and plugs over smart bulbs, so I can continue to use the kinds of lamps I prefer.

Actually it's not that simple. The so-called "wasted" energy of incandescent bulbs is in the form of heat. For many parts of the country, such as the Midwest, where it's cool or colder 8 - 9 months out of the year, a heat by-product is rarely wasted. A watt is a watt. The heat energy from incandescent bulbs is offsetting your home's heating by this exact same amount during the time of year when days are shorter and the bulbs are used the most.
No kidding… See, now I learned something in this thread too 😀

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Success!!

I shut down all the AirPods, and Apple TV. Left it a while then restarted them. On reboot the Adaptive Lighting is back.

Thanks for the help.
Glad it’s back and gave me a peace of mind as well before I upgrade my architecture 🙂

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP

That’s a pretty cool feature

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
it is good, after you have used it for a while it is really noticeable when they don’t change.
Yep, it’s fantastic. When we moved into the new house, I couldn’t decide which color temperature lighting to go with, with our smart switches. Then Apple announced this feature and it was a done deal. Swapped out all my smart switches for Hue lighting. Especially love how the dimmer you go, the warmer the color of the light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.