Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Hello,
I have a Hue lights problem. It would be really nice if somebody can help me.

I am using normal routines for my Hue lights, like turn on the lights on X AM or PM.

I bought some Hue motion sensors and I am using the Hue Lap “Do not disturb my scene” for the motion detectors.

When the lights are off, it is a delight when your motion sensor turns on your lights as you approach. But when you are watching a movie or have set your favourite scene, you do not want your motion sensor to overrule your settings. With this Formula your motion sensor will only trigger when all related lights are off. So when you have already set a scene and pass by your motion sensor, it remains undisturbed in your chosen scene.

Sometimes my normal routines doesn’t work. The lights doesn't turn on. I guess it’s not working if the lights are on (from the motion detector) and the normal routine wants to turn them on if they are all ready “on” from
the motion sensor. If the motion sensor turn on the lights, the Hue Lap routine “Do not disturb my scene” turns the lights off after 5-10 min.

Basically the Hue Lap routine is killing my normal routines. That’s stupid.

Is there a workaround?

Thx.

Laura.

Ps.
I am using random timers for my lights for safety reasons. There is a creep a few houses next to me. I am a little bit worried if my routines doesn’t work.

Last edited:

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Are you sure the reason sometimes the normal routines don’t appear to work is that the random time hasn’t been reached in yet?

I would try turning off the random on-time option. Also change the motion sensor setting so that it never turns off the lights it activates. You can add another randomised routine for the lights to turn off after you have gone to bed.

You can also adjust the brightness activation threshold for the motion sensor to the level of the room when the lights are on. This will also stop the motion sensor from activating if the lights are already on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.