Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Well, this is embarrassing. I, Timm Kook, am having to post on a forum here about an issue with a 2021 MacBook Pro, 16", M1 Max chip.

Here's the issue:

When plugged into MagSafe, and I lock the screen or close the lid for more than about 5-10 mins and come back, I CANNOT use TouchID to unlock the Mac unless I unplug from power. It's super weird. And let's say I open the Mac, decide to type my password like a peasant since TouchID isn't working, if I open another program that needs my fingerprint, it too will not work until I unplug the Mac.

I found a few random threads online discussing this but they're few and far between. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can't believe my Apple would put out a product that functions this way! Hoping macOS 12.1 fixes it when it's released next week but man it's so annoying coming from a 2018 MBP and never having a single issue with TouchID.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I think from other threads it's concluded that it's because of the electricity. It's having some interference. Try moving to a different outlet on the other place of your house for example. Or try charging with a different brick

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I think from other threads it's concluded that it's because of the electricity. It's having some interference. Try moving to a different outlet on the other place of your house for example. Or try charging with a different brick
Tried both of those. Bought another $150 worth of brick and cable, same thing. Hella annoying. Hopefully gets fixed but I am guessing it's electricity too. A shame.

Reactions: white7561

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
I am facing exactly same issue with my new M1 Pro 14inch Macbook (2021).
The touch id doesn't respond when I touch it after leaving locked for >5mins while it's charging on magsafe.

This issue even happens when trying the same steps while unplugged.
Well, this is embarrassing. I, Timm Kook, am having to post on a forum here about an issue with a 2021 MacBook Pro, 16", M1 Max chip.

Here's the issue:

When plugged into MagSafe, and I lock the screen or close the lid for more than about 5-10 mins and come back, I CANNOT use TouchID to unlock the Mac unless I unplug from power. It's super weird. And let's say I open the Mac, decide to type my password like a peasant since TouchID isn't working, if I open another program that needs my fingerprint, it too will not work until I unplug the Mac.

I found a few random threads online discussing this but they're few and far between. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can't believe my Apple would put out a product that functions this way! Hoping macOS 12.1 fixes it when it's released next week but man it's so annoying coming from a 2018 MBP and never having a single issue with TouchID.

Last edited:

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I am facing exactly same issue with my new M1 Pro 14inch Macbook (2021).
The touch id doesn't respond when I touch it after leaving locked for >5mins while it's charging on magsafe.

This issue even happens when trying the same steps while unplugged.
Yep, but I found a fix! Rest your palm/hand on the Mac while using Touch ID. So basically put your whole hand down on it and use the index finger to unlock via Touch ID and it will work. Personally, my palm touches the area to the right of the trackpad on my 16" 2021 MBP. So by resting my hand on it, and using the index finger for Touch ID, it fixes it. Try that out and see if it helps.

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Yep, but I found a fix! Rest your palm/hand on the Mac while using Touch ID. So basically put your whole hand down on it and use the index finger to unlock via Touch ID and it will work. Personally, my palm touches the area to the right of the trackpad on my 16" 2021 MBP. So by resting my hand on it, and using the index finger for Touch ID, it fixes it. Try that out and see if it helps.

Basically "you are holding it wrong"

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Seems to be an electricity noise issue. Have you guys tried charging using a powerbank and seeing if it changes?

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Seems to be an electricity noise issue. Have you guys tried charging using a powerbank and seeing if it changes?
Nope I have only tried MagSafe. I actually bought a separate set (150$ damn!) and both do it. It's 100% an electricity noise issue/grounding issue though and it's hella annoying. No idea how this passed through and no one at Apple noticed.
Then again, I noticed it right away and posted here and on reddit and everyone was like "nah it's your machine" and I'm like... nah... it's all of them. And now more and more people are DM-ing me about it... waiting for Apple to recall it.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Nope I have only tried MagSafe. I actually bought a separate set (150$ damn!) and both do it. It's 100% an electricity noise issue/grounding issue though and it's hella annoying. No idea how this passed through and no one at Apple noticed.
Then again, I noticed it right away and posted here and on reddit and everyone was like "nah it's your machine" and I'm like... nah... it's all of them. And now more and more people are DM-ing me about it... waiting for Apple to recall it.
Yeh . Weird. Doesn't happen on mine though. Seems like it depends on the electricity

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Yeh . Weird. Doesn't happen on mine though. Seems like it depends on the electricity
Can I ask the specs? Is yours the 14 or 16"? And is it the Max Chip or Pro? These shouldn't matter but maybe there's some correlation idk.
Mine is '21 16" MBP 64GB RAM Max Chip. You'd think for this kind of money Apple would have tested the damn Touch ID button ?

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Can I ask the specs? Is yours the 14 or 16"? And is it the Max Chip or Pro? These shouldn't matter but maybe there's some correlation idk.
Mine is '21 16" MBP 64GB RAM Max Chip. You'd think for this kind of money Apple would have tested the damn Touch ID button ?
16" M1 Pro. But yeh. It's probably because of the noises in your electricity.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I tried @TimmKook 's suggestion and it works great for me every time!

Yep, but I found a fix! Rest your palm/hand on the Mac while using Touch ID. So basically put your whole hand down on it and use the index finger to unlock via Touch ID and it will work.

I have a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max

Reactions: TimmKook

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo

Yep, but I found a fix! Rest your palm/hand on the Mac while using Touch ID. So basically put your whole hand down on it and use the index finger to unlock via Touch ID and it will work.

This is really strange why some users have this issue and others don't. On my 14 Pro no need to use whole hand.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I don’t have to put my whole hand, just be sure some part of my hand is touching right of the touchpad. Works every time so far!

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
16" M1 Pro. But yeh. It's probably because of the noises in your electricity.
I actually have one plugged directly into wall, the other in a surge protector that cleans the electricity. So noise from the supply is not the issue here. Maybe inside the Mac it's missing some sort of shielding...

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020

Glad to help :) I guess that's why I make the big bucks at Apple eh? hahaha

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Interesting thread. I don't have *this* specific issue -- but was searching to find out why the touchid on my 16" MBP M1 all around sucks and is flaky. It seems to have gotten worse as the temps plummeted so I'll check out some of these suggestions.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Interesting thread. I don't have *this* specific issue -- but was searching to find out why the touchid on my 16" MBP M1 all around sucks and is flaky. It seems to have gotten worse as the temps plummeted so I'll check out some of these suggestions.
Quick update, followed the suggestion and switched from using my thumb (with little/no resting on base) to the index finger, which I always have to rest on the base. Noticed a dramatic improvement in its sensitivity and reliability. Glad I found this thread and thanks!

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Quick update, followed the suggestion and switched from using my thumb (with little/no resting on base) to the index finger, which I always have to rest on the base. Noticed a dramatic improvement in its sensitivity and reliability. Glad I found this thread and thanks!
Happy to help! I am trying to let as many people know this trick as possible. Seems to be a manufacturing defect on the newer M1 Macs. Whole hand/palm on metal + index finger on sensor works every single time! Cheers

garaig

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Hungary
I have the same issue with 16 M1 Pro, and yes, the holding on my arms any metal surface is the solution. FYI it is no appear when I use the USB-C cable for charging... So the magsafe system is wrong.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I have zero issues with either of my laptops.

Perhaps it is because I am using the adapter extension that includes a ground plug? Or perhaps this is limited to certain runs of laptops? Who knows.

Whatever it is, it’s a weird one.

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I have zero issues with either of my laptops.

Perhaps it is because I am using the adapter extension that includes a ground plug? Or perhaps this is limited to certain runs of laptops? Who knows.

Whatever it is, it’s a weird one.
I have 2 separate chargers, one is on the extension, other isn't. Same issue, only with MagSafe. 16" 2021, 64GB RAM 1TB storage Max chip. No idea if there's any correlation. I pre ordered it. But yeah touching my whole hand to the Mac while I use TouchID works 100% of the time. Otherwise, when charging it won't work. Probably an internal grounding issue from what I understand.

Marrty

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2022
My 2020 M1 MBA Touch ID wouldn't work when plugged in. Brought it to Apple Store and they did diagnostic to confirm bad 30W charging brick. Replaced brick and problem resolved.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We have three MacBooks with Touch ID (13, 14, 16) and have seen no problems. Are you using the stub plug or the grounded cord?

I always use my index finger for touch id as I have difficulty rotating my hand to use my thumb due to an old tennis injury.

TimmKook

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
My 2020 M1 MBA Touch ID wouldn't work when plugged in. Brought it to Apple Store and they did diagnostic to confirm bad 30W charging brick. Replaced brick and problem resolved.
That is interesting! I have 2 different bricks, same issue though :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.