Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Spaces was my favorite OS X feature. Very useful and extremely productive. Unfortunately the way Mission Control handles Spaces is a huge step back for me. I can't believe how Apple handled this in 10.7. First they invent something beautiful that many people found extremely useful, and which they incorporated into and depend on in their daily work flow, and then they taketh it away, just like that…

As many others have pointed out, I agree that Apple need to reintroduce the icon for the current Space number in the menu bar. And we also need to be able to rearrange the order of the Spaces.

But the biggest change and let down is that in 10.6, the Desktop and Menu bar stayed static when switching to a new Space. Only the program windows moved. That switch was very 'calm' on the eyes. Now in 10.7, EVERYTHING moves, including the Desktop and Menu Bar. And on top of that, the switch is now animated with a long and horrible animation effect. This effect gets old VERY quickly and also makes my eyes hurt, especially due to the slowdown of the effect at the end of the animation (but thankfully less so when using the keyboard shortcuts instead of CTRL+Arrow Keys). Since in my work I have to switch between different spaces every minute or so, this new way Spaces work is really affecting my work to the point where I will soon, unfortunately, have to go back to 10.6 on my work machine. I'm hoping that Apple in the future could make the user choose if the Desktop and Menu Bar should move or stay static. Or at least give us an option for an instant switch without the horrible animation.

Also, I always have a TV window (EyeTV) open. This used to stay static and on top of everything in 10.6 when switching to a new space. Not anymore, now the Eye TV window moves too with the space and thus disappears during the switch. Very annoying. This means that the more often you switch between spaces, the more you miss of whatever you are watching on TV.

I can only see disadvantages with having the Menu Bar and Desktop move as well when switching between spaces. And there is definitely a big advantage of having the ability for certain windows, like a TV window, to stay static when you switch to a new space. Why did Apple change this behavior? Please tell me it was not only so that we could have a different desktop picture in each space. That would be crazy.

Also, I loved the old grid. I use 9 spaces in 10.6 and the grid makes it very easy to navigate between them. Going horizontally to get from Space 1 to 9 doesn't work for me. If we can't have the old grid back, which if course would be great, then at least make the horizontal spaces loop, so that you can go directly from space 1 to space 9 with the CTRL+left arrow key.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
You can right click the app's icon you need to open in all spaces and make the app be a "every spaces" app

spincr

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
The Netherlands
That indeed is true, however its not very handy now is it. I do agree, most of the big features turned out to be pretty annoying, at least for me, in the end i had to do a clean install and I'm still recovering as lion back ups can't be used in snow leopard, a real jolly. Small plus though, make your remarks notable by contacting customer support and they'll most likely give you a refund, if its better in a month or 2 you can always get it then, perhaps even cheaper.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
You can right click the app's icon you need to open in all spaces and make the app be a "every spaces" app

Thank you. I already knew this. The problem is not to get an app to appear in every Space, it is that in 10.7, the app window disappears while Mission Control switches to a new Space. In 10.6, an app window was static and visible at all times even while you switched to a new space, i.e. you could keep watching your TV show without missing anything.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I agree with the animations between spaces

We should have an option to turn that off

But nothing beats cmd + tab for switching between workspaces / windows. Then I use app expose to switch between windows.

Mission control is only useful for assigning apps to new desktops. I switch between them with cmd + tab. And the thing is, my typical workflow only involves going back and forth so a very quick cmd + tab press switches between the apps i need.

handel30

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Miami, Florida
Please tell me it was not only so that we could have a different desktop picture in each space. That would be crazy.

Also, I loved the old grid. I use 9 spaces in 10.6 and the grid makes it very easy to navigate between them. Going horizontally to get from Space 1 to 9 doesn't work for me. If we can't have the old grid back, which if course would be great, then at least make the horizontal spaces loop, so that you can go directly from space 1 to space 9 with the CTRL+left arrow key.

I very much enjoy having a different desktop picture in each space, though functionality comes first. I agree with you that the spaces should loop around so you can go directly from space 9 to space 1.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
This was the number 1 reason I am staying with Snow Leopard.

I also use 9 spaces and even have my mouse set up with buttons to activate Spaces and Expose so that I can quickly switch between applications. Though "all spaces" apps like Quicktime do disappear when I bring up the grid, I can switch fast enough that I don't notice it.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I can only see disadvantages with having the Menu Bar and Desktop move as well when switching between spaces. And there is definitely a big advantage of having the ability for certain windows, like a TV window, to stay static when you switch to a new space. Why did Apple change this behavior? Please tell me it was not only so that we could have a different desktop picture in each space. That would be crazy.

Apple changed this behavior because of Full Screen apps; when a full screen app occupies a space, other windows can't be brought into it and the menubar is hidden by default. By shifting the entire screen it prevents this from being an awkward transition (i.e., having the thought that applications are underneath a Full Screen app in a space because the slide with it and/or opening Mission Control on an app and having the "All Spaces" apps appear on another desktop though you just saw them slide underneath your FS app).

But the biggest change and let down is that in 10.6, the Desktop and Menu bar stayed static when switching to a new Space. Only the program windows moved. That switch was very 'calm' on the eyes. Now in 10.7, EVERYTHING moves, including the Desktop and Menu Bar. And on top of that, the switch is now animated with a long and horrible animation effect. This effect gets old VERY quickly and also makes my eyes hurt, especially due to the slowdown of the effect at the end of the animation (but thankfully less so when using the keyboard shortcuts instead of CTRL+Arrow Keys).

I honestly haven't even noticed that the effect slows down towards the end but it's probably because I use a Magic Trackpad or my MacBook trackpad and continue swiping until the Space is completely visible. It also doesn't seem to do it whenever you change the Space using a CMD+Tab to switch applications, which is often how I move between my spaces.

I agree with you on the fact that you should be able to manually order the desktops and they stay in that order, but as for losing the grid, I am ok with that. I prefer a line of desktops and applications because I use a trackpad to switch through them and have (at most) 4 desktops actively in use. I can see how it would get annoying if you had 9 desktops at once, though.

I may be the only one who prefers the "Mission Control"-style Spaces... I like being able to create and remove Spaces on the fly and their integration with full screen applications. It also helps that I tend to use Spaces to organize groups of applications based on my workflow so I don't switch between them as often (e.g., web dev stuff in a space, play stuff in a space, Xcode in another). Just out of curiosity, why do you use 9 of them?

toogoodius

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
Spaces was my favorite OS X feature. Very useful and extremely productive. Unfortunately the way Mission Control handles Spaces is a huge step back for me. I can't believe how Apple handled this in 10.7. First they invent something beautiful that many people found extremely useful, and which they incorporated into and depend on in their daily work flow, and then they taketh it away, just like that…

As many others have pointed out, I agree that Apple need to reintroduce the icon for the current Space number in the menu bar. And we also need to be able to rearrange the order of the Spaces.

But the biggest change and let down is that in 10.6, the Desktop and Menu bar stayed static when switching to a new Space. Only the program windows moved. That switch was very 'calm' on the eyes. Now in 10.7, EVERYTHING moves, including the Desktop and Menu Bar. And on top of that, the switch is now animated with a long and horrible animation effect. This effect gets old VERY quickly and also makes my eyes hurt, especially due to the slowdown of the effect at the end of the animation (but thankfully less so when using the keyboard shortcuts instead of CTRL+Arrow Keys). Since in my work I have to switch between different spaces every minute or so, this new way Spaces work is really affecting my work to the point where I will soon, unfortunately, have to go back to 10.6 on my work machine. I'm hoping that Apple in the future could make the user choose if the Desktop and Menu Bar should move or stay static. Or at least give us an option for an instant switch without the horrible animation.

Also, I always have a TV window (EyeTV) open. This used to stay static and on top of everything in 10.6 when switching to a new space. Not anymore, now the Eye TV window moves too with the space and thus disappears during the switch. Very annoying. This means that the more often you switch between spaces, the more you miss of whatever you are watching on TV.

I could not agree more!

Mission control is gimmicky and very clunky. I use a two button mouse and I was able to drag a document up to the icon up in the menubar, right click to show the spaces, and then drop the document into another space. this is an incredibly quick way to move documents around and mission control just cannot compare. It's not a question of getting used to a new way of working Mission Control is simply not as good.

I'm afraid that I can't even go back to Snow Leopard. My copy is corrupt (Macmail completlel unusable) and Lion was bought to correct that. It did but that was a corrupt copy too and I've already had to reinstall!

Oh, yeah, did I say I have problems with the re-install too!

Cheers Apple (have some more money!)

qua

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
My workaround turned out better than spaces

in a sense. I simply set the mouse in the top left hand corner of the screen to open Mission Control - it comes up and select wanted screen. As fast and simple as Spaces. I actually like it better after a couple of weeks getting used to it. And this was my BIGGEST complaint with Lion.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
This was the number 1 reason I am staying with Snow Leopard..

I do understand. It's one of a number of reasons I'm sticking with 10.6.5 for the foreseeable future. I have no use for the App Store, or other window dressing..

What's important to remember, is Apple's goal and intent for Lion. The new OS is purpose built to attract beginners and those who have never used a computer. Those coming from iPhones like young kids, who don't have their first computer yet.

It's a way for Apple to capture more customers. That is the intent. Productivity is not even on the list of important priorities for Apple.

It's about building more market share and grabbing those who feel intimidated with computers. By offering something that looks like iOS, and will increasingly be more iOS like, Lion is for the average Joe and Jane. A home computer mentality. Simple, basic, easy. Power users need not apply.

Apple is now fully addicted to the money, and wants more and more. This is the way to accomplish that. Be a simple consumer item like the basic, and easy iPhone.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
For those of us who don't use spaces or dashboard, the grey border and thumbnails of the current 'space' should NOT appear. There needs to be an on/off switch in Mission Control.

Equally important is an on/off switch for grouping windows in a single application when activating Mission Control. Those of us who multitask a lot will benefit from this greatly. The grouping of windows is the main reason why I switched back to Snow Leopard.

Mission Control is a good idea, but Apple executed it as poorly as microsoft would.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Apple doesn't listen to feedback, only the ghost of Steve Jobs, and he tells you what you like. Really, several years later and all that's changed is MBP trackpads are much more annoying.

Back in 2011 Lion came out, screwed up lots of things, and I started leaving feedback. Lots of things I complained about were improved (not immediately) and I was invited to beta testing programs. I like to think that feedback does work, and certainly does more than just complaining here on Macrumors, which is guaranteed to have no affect!

As a Mac user with multiple displays, Apple has improved the user interface greatly since 2011 by having menu bars and dock available on all displays and having Spaces be independent for each display. The Snow Leopard UI seems crude in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.