Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Hey there, I'm having a huge, really huge problem with my iPhone!

So, I was experiencing pretty strong battery drain. That's why I tried to delete as many packages in Cydia as I could.

Here's the stupid thing: I even deleted things that was specifically mentioned NOT TO DELETE!

Then, trying to solve this problem I reset my iPhone back to stock and rejailbroke. But this didn't solve the problem. I got the following error message: "Failed to fetch http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable/main/binary-iphone-arm/PackagesIndex MD5 Sum mismatch"

After that I tried to add the Bigboss repo source manually. I added the source http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable/main/binary-iphone-arm

Then I finally thought that I fixed it, but now when I try to download something from the Bigboss repo it starts downloading and then stops with the error message "Size mismatch".

Does anyone know the solution to my problem? I would be so thankful!

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
BigBoss is probably just having problems.

Edit: Yep, just checked. Repo isn't working here either.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
restore through iTunes and start over.

I did restore from Back up. Is it necessary that I restore and "make" a new iPhone. all my contacts would be lost.

----------

BigBoss is probably just having problems.

Edit: Yep, just checked. Repo isn't working here either.

Ok, I hope that this is the problem. Thank you for your fast answer! :)

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I did restore from Back up. Is it necessary that I restore and "make" a new iPhone. all my contacts would be lost.

----------

Ok, I hope that this is the problem. Thank you for your fast answer! :)

You're cotacts are stored in iTunes, you won't lose them if restore!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hey there, I'm having a huge, really huge problem with my iPhone!

So, I was experiencing pretty strong battery drain. That's why I tried to delete as many packages in Cydia as I could.

Here's the stupid thing: I even deleted things that was specifically mentioned NOT TO DELETE!

Then, trying to solve this problem I reset my iPhone back to stock and rejailbroke. But this didn't solve the problem. I got the following error message: "Failed to fetch http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable/main/binary-iphone-arm/PackagesIndex MD5 Sum mismatch"

After that I tried to add the Bigboss repo source manually. I added the source http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia/dists/stable/main/binary-iphone-arm

Then I finally thought that I fixed it, but now when I try to download something from the Bigboss repo it starts downloading and then stops with the error message "Size mismatch".

Does anyone know the solution to my problem? I would be so thankful!

I think you're using the wrong address for the BigBoss repo. That might be part of your problem. I'm pretty sure the address for the BigBoss repo is...

http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/Cydia

Edit: I just checked and my BigBoss repo is working perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think you're using the wrong address for the BigBoss repo. That might be part of your problem. I'm pretty sure the address for the BigBoss repo is...

Edit: I just checked and my BigBoss repo is working perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

May be a DNS issue then? I'm in the UK, using OpenDNS, and I get the same error the op is receiving when using BigBoss.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
I did restore my iPhone. I just didn't set it up as a new phone but I restored it from a backup I made earlier. Does that make sense?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
May be a DNS issue then? I'm in the UK, using OpenDNS, and I get the same error the op is receiving when using BigBoss.

Not sure. I didn't think of that. Back in the day to add the BigBoss I think you had to go to the Cydia homepage, then tap on "More Package Sources" and then choose BigBoss from the list. Not sure if that's changed or whatever but regardless, you're probably right. Maybe it's just a basic error that will resolve itself if the OP just waits a little bit and then tries again.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013

When adding this address I get the message that the server couldn't be found.

Could it have something to do with the different packages that I deleted? Do I have to add them seperately?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Even if it resolves itself--never backup to only one source, jailbroken or not. Files get corrupted, hard drives crash, etc. With the tech available at our fingertips now, only the truly lazy will lose more than a small amount of their data due to a software or hardware failure. If you don't know other ways to back up your data besides iTunes, it's time to start Googling for other solutions. Do it now, before you get into a situation where you're *forced* to restore as new.

(One place to start: PhoneView for the Mac or TouchCopy for Windows. They're worth every penny, though I'm sure there are alternatives. And, of course, back up your hard drive too.)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
When adding this address I get the message that the server couldn't be found.

Could it have something to do with the different packages that I deleted? Do I have to add them seperately?

I have no idea. Sorry. Did you try what I suggested in post #10? Not sure if it will work or not but its worth a try. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Good luck.

casadicapra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
I have no idea. Sorry. Did you try what I suggested in post #10? Not sure if it will work or not but its worth a try. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Good luck.

Thank you so much!! It worked! I added the source from the main page!

And I want to thank all the people who gave suggestions! This is an awesome forum! :)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I'd just wipe and restore.

I was having battery problems too. However, I think my battery problems were caused by too many apps giving push notifications. I got rid of garbage like Zynga and random news apps that I didn't need, and I think it has helped.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thank you so much!! It worked! I added the source from the main page!

And I want to thank all the people who gave suggestions! This is an awesome forum! :)

Hahahah awesome! You are very, very welcome. Glad I could help you out. Enjoy! And be more careful with your device and backing it up. Have fun!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'd just wipe and restore.

I was having battery problems too. However, I think my battery problems were caused by too many apps giving push notifications. I got rid of garbage like Zynga and random news apps that I didn't need, and I think it has helped.

You can manually disable push notifications from each app from settings -> notifications but deleting apps you don't use makes your phone cleaner :)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
You can manually disable push notifications from each app from settings -> notifications but deleting apps you don't use makes your phone cleaner :)

I'm not so sure about that. Sure it would stop the notifications from coming in, but I think the app listens to its server for push messages anyway because some apps rely on a server to wake it up and send info. I could be wrong, but it seems to have helped that I removed a few apps.

For sure, I'd make sure there aren't any trash apps with the notifications enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.