Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I have an ATV4. Hulu app v7.3 (6/29/20) AFAIK unless the ATV hasn't been able to update it - the app version listed on the ATV has no direct correlation to the Hulu tvOS release notes.

Within the last couple weeks, every time I start Hulu, it hangs. I restart the Apple TV, and then Hulu opens up okay, but the next day it hangs again... rinse and repeat every single day.

A few days ago, a good friend texted me asking if I was having issues w/ Hulu hanging on start up. Exact same deal.

I haven't been able to find any recent info on this, but hard to imagine there aren't tons of people being affected by this.

I'm a little nervous to uninstall and reinstall as I've read previous accounts (based on previous versions) where once it was uninstalled, they couldn't get it to work at all.

Curious if others have recently experienced this issue and if they were able to fix it.

I had a similar problem w/ Netflix app earlier this year, and I ended up having to reset the ATV to factory settings to get it to work again.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I’ve been having the same issue. If you’re on Twitter, let them know @HuluSupport. I did, and they say they’re aware, but the more people complain, the better.

Reactions: ixxx69

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
It’s been reported on multiple streaming devices on Reddit, not just AppleTV, if that makes you feel any better. It’s a Hulu issue, not an Apple issue. Also, not sure which remote the ATV4 has, but on my ATV4k, I can double click the TV button to open up recent apps, swipe the Hulu app up and away and then launch it again and it works.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I can double click the TV button to open up recent apps, swipe the Hulu app up and away and then launch it again and it works.

This happens to my wife and I with the Hulu app at least once a day. We usually just double click the TV button, force close and open the app back up -- that usually works.

Hope Hulu fixes this soon.

Reactions: 911jason

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I've also found that, at the same time as this problem appeared (seemingly with my upgrade to the Beta tvOS), Hulu no longer accurately keeps track of where I am with a series. I'm binging some Frasier (don't judge), and it keeps defaulting to an episode from several seasons earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.