Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moosefab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Melbourne
Has anyone got an answer to annoying hum my 2017 iMac (2tb hard drive,i5) is producing scince I got it only a month ago?
Just some background , it a low level hum which directly comes from the unit when the unit is on, the hum only stops when the iMac is in sleep mode.
I have already taken it to the genius Bar and was told it's working within spec. In other words badluck it's your problem. I have compared it to other relatively new iMac's and none have this issue. This is my third and maybe my last Mac, as I it's too annoying!

Moosefab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Melbourne
Thanks protruckdriver, I going to take it to another Mac store that's authorised to fix them to get their opinion. It may have some weight to get someone to fix this issue

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
That sounds like the HDD. My tangerine iMac G3 HDD made a constant annoying high pitched whine. I got the same response from the Apple dealer and also a $25 shop fee.

There is no excuse nowadays for selling an iMac with a noisy hard drive. Fan noise maybe at times, mainly with the i7, but the drive should be quiet.

Moosefab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Melbourne
That sounds like the HDD. My tangerine iMac G3 HDD made a constant annoying high pitched whine. I got the same response from the Apple dealer and also a $25 shop fee.

There is no excuse nowadays for selling an iMac with a noisy hard drive. Fan noise maybe at times, mainly with the i7, but the drive should be quiet.
The nosie is not a high pitch nosie but rather like a hum you would get from a transformer.
Either way you are correct we shouldn't have to put up with noises from a expensive computer.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
The nosie is not a high pitch nosie but rather like a hum you would get from a transformer.
Either way you are correct we shouldn't have to put up with noises from a expensive computer.[/QUOTE

If the hum stops once your iMac is in sleep mode then I would say that’s because the spinning drive(HDD)is in rest mode. The SSD built into the Fusion drive will always be silent.

If you don’t have any luck quieting it down, as I remember, eventually my brain adapted to the noise of my old G3 iMac. If you can, play music while you use it and slowly over time decrease the volume of the music . I recently went from a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck to a Kia Soul and the different sounding and closer road noise took awhile to adjust to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.