Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I was just watching this,

And it seems to be an interesting step. Voice-based communications seems a natural pairing with AI, and Humane seems to be making an effort towards providing a product that is interestingly human-centric and not about us spending more time in front of screens.

For those who don’t know, Humane was founded a few years ago by ex-Apple employees.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Definitely interesting product seems a long way off though.

Maybe. If you could pair a large-language model chat mode with services such as the natural language translation and a more sophisticated digital assistant, I could foresee a very capable device. These technologies exist today, and just need further maturing. Three years or so seems a reasonable horizon, there are interesting times ahead.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I just watched the keynote. It's very interesting. If it's not overpriced, I will buy one. I think it and Vision Pro can exist together.

I wonder why macrumors.com has not run a story on this device. Is it because Humane are ex-Apple employees?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
This thing looks pretty sketchy. Privacy concerns aside, there are a number of questions about how it works just based on what was shown in the video.

How does it answer the call when he doesn't interact with the projection on his hand?
How well is that projection system going to work in sunlight?
How did it know to translate into french? (Also, that translation didn't really sound like it was in his voice.)
How do you interact with this thing in places where speaking isn't appropriate?
If it's meant to be a post-smartphone device, how do I input all my info? How does it interact with things like email, and how will it work alongside more niche services? Does it have a cellular connection? If so, what will the battery life be like?
What are they training their AI on? What are its limits? How do I know I can trust it for health info, to manage my calendar and email stuff appropriately, etc?

This thing looks like it's either years away from being ready to actually demo or just a total scam.

er2429

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
The current iteration is dead on arrival. Definitely an interesting concept, and I respect a ton of people working there (esp Ken Kocienda), but I legitimately have no idea how this will catch on in its current form. Especially if it will require an expensive cellular connection, as is rumored, it competes with the Apple Watch imo most directly, and it's a poor replacement. I can communicate with AI on my wrist vs. in my pocket, and I also get wallet functionality, health sensors, a music player, and texts/calls. I also really wish they'd tone down the pompous advertising. They have not shipped anything and are acting like it's the second coming of the iPhone. I'd love to be wrong because I took feel some addiction to my Apple devices, but I just feel like competing against dopamine never wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.