Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Like the Civilization series? Take a look at Humankind set to release APR 2021. Works with MacOS 10.12+

I wonder if this will work on my 5,1 Mac Pro.

Reactions: vagos

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
It's out in a few days, I wonder if this will be M1 optimised.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Mac port is delayed a month, but still coming eventually. I don't mind the wait.

Tried it in bootcamp a bit. If you are familiar with other Amplitude 4x titles (Endless Legend, Endless Space) it feels VERY much like those, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It borrows a lot of the terminology and iconography from those. It really feels like Amplitude being contracted to make a Civ game, in a lot of ways.

None of that is a bad thing, but it also isn't re-inventing the genre if anyone was holding out for that.

Reactions: Huntn

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Vagos, maybe not the best workaround but it does have day 1 Geforce Now support, if you have tried that. GFN hasn't been great for me because my internet just isn't good enough, but some people have had success.

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Yes GFN would be an amazing solution but my internet line is below the requirements so I can't count on that :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mac port is delayed a month, but still coming eventually. I don't mind the wait.

Tried it in bootcamp a bit. If you are familiar with other Amplitude 4x titles (Endless Legend, Endless Space) it feels VERY much like those, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It borrows a lot of the terminology and iconography from those. It really feels like Amplitude being contracted to make a Civ game, in a lot of ways.

None of that is a bad thing, but it also isn't re-inventing the genre if anyone was holding out for that.
I’ve been eyeing this game, so far undecided. I’d play it on PC.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
There's a Mac beta available. Currently only officially supported on intel, but there are reports of it working OK-ish on M1 if forced to go through Rosetta.

Update: I have run the beta on a 2018 i5 Mac Mini 16GB and a MacBook Pro M1 8GB.

On the Mini it is only playable at the lowest settings and the graphics are dire but it does run.

On the M1, with Rosetta forced via “get info”, it runs rather well on medium settings. However the battle mode has graphics corruption and is unusable. There is an auto-resolve option that avoids battle mode, though.

Conclusion: On intel, you will realistically need a very recent Mac with a dedicated GPU. On Apple Silicon, it will probably run acceptably on any Apple Silicon Mac once a compatible version is released.

I will grab some screenshots tomorrow.

Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
As promised, some screenshots but some context first.

The quality and resolutions meant that the game felt roughly the same as far scrolling round the map, unit responsiveness, etc. I would judge the game playable on either system, although what will happen as the game progresses is anyone's guess.

On the i5 the settings were 1600x900 and Simple. On the M1 the settings were 1920x1080 and Beautiful. The (8GB) M1 was showing over 10GB memory usage with yellow memory pressure, and (estimated from graphic window) ~95% GPU usage in Activity Monitor. I can't see memory usage on the i5 because I only have one screen, but the memory pressure had been green and the GPU history showed it had been maxed-out.

The monitor is the same, using an onboard KVM. The screenshots were originally 5120x2880 png and ~20MB. They have been resized to the in-game resolution for each system and saved as 100% quality web-friendly jpg.

OK. First a seige screen:

This is the i5:

battle_screen_i5.jpg

And this is the M1:

battle_screen_m1.jpg

Now for a city screen:

First the i5:

city_screen_i5.jpg

And the M1:

city_screen_m1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vagos

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So far the Mac version has been running smoother for me than the Windows version on the same hardware (16“, i9, 5500M). Go figure, but I’m not complaining :)

Native M1 version is probably just a question of time, especially since Steam has now released native API. Strange coincidence in timing as well.

P.S. GeforceNow is not a viable option since there is no way to get the beta game branch, and Humankind bitterly needs it. The latest beta solves a bunch of critical issues and has massively improved the gameplay experience for me.

Reactions: l0stl0rd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.