Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
"three dancing leprechauns" AI fill using latest PS Beta 25.6.
It can't even count to three.

screenshot22.png

Last edited:

dorsal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
At least Firefly can count to three. And even though I've never seen a leprechaun, these seem more "lifelike".

screenshot23.png

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Go open source & free instead of commercial. Adobe's GenAI imagery can't actually compete for various reasons (amongst others because of legal copyright reasons).

These were rendered on my own local machine (not internet required) using different current AI models. For ~25% of these I added an "in the style of...", but otherwise the same prompt. :) Took about 90 minutes to generate. If you think about it this it is maddeningly fast...

Gives a better feel for where GenAI imagery stands right now. And this is only the beginning. It is sometimes daunting to think about if you're an artistic person like myself. It will only improve and improve more. While it will not take away jobs from artists who stand out or when "hand drawn/painted by a real human" becomes a "seal of quality" for higher end products/art, average art jobs and lower level ones are already being phased out and replaced by GenAI... Video, voices, singing, music, 3d modeling, and so forth: same.

At this point hands still present problems to GenAI - but that is also improving rapidly. And yes: counting to three seems to be an issue :) Often the AI settles on 4 rather than 3 characters...

Full resolution webp one here: https://gofile.io/d/SMpzN2

three_dancing_leprechans.jpg

dorsal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Go open source & free instead of commercial. Adobe's GenAI imagery can't actually compete for various reasons (amongst others because of legal copyright reasons).

These were rendered on my own local machine (not internet required) using different current AI models. For ~25% of these I added an "in the style of...", but otherwise the same prompt. :) Took about 90 minutes to generate. If you think about it this it is maddeningly fast...

Gives a better feel for where GenAI imagery stands right now. And this is only the beginning. It is sometimes daunting to think about if you're an artistic person like myself. It will only improve and improve more. While it will not take away jobs from artists who stand out or when "hand drawn/painted by a real human" becomes a "seal of quality" for higher end products/art, average art jobs and lower level ones are already being phased out and replaced by GenAI... Video, voices, singing, music, 3d modeling, and so forth: same.

At this point hands still present problems to GenAI - but that is also improving rapidly. And yes: counting to three seems to be an issue :) Often the AI settles on 4 rather than 3 characters...

Full resolution webp one here: https://gofile.io/d/SMpzN2

Impressive. What AI tool did you use?

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Stable diffusion locally installed with a browser-based GUI. Then download AI models, Loras ("extensions" that are trained for special purposes, such as a particular actor or a style like pixel art), and embeddings (simple keyword based extensions, I believe) from https://civitai.com/

Setting up a local installation may be super simple to quite complex, depending on your skill level and the approach used.

Here is a good article:

For example, a very simple artist-friendly approach is to install Krita on your Mac
(which is the brilliant open source and free digital painting app)

and then simply install a free plugin:

And Presto: you have Photoshop's "Generative Fill/Expand" for free and without any limitations in terms of content. And far more controllable! And better quality. And super easy to use within a professional digital painting app. All for free!

The genAI community hub right now seems to be https://civitai.com/
That's where I downloaded many different models.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I will mention though that these stable diffusion models are generally trained on contents scraped off the web without any thought given to copyright or the rights of the original artists and photographers.

In short: play as much as you want, but the results are neither morally nor ethically acceptable for any paid work in my opinion. The legality is still very much in the dark here. No-one knows quite how to handle this part.

One of the reasons why Photoshop's implementation is so limited. And Firefly refuses to render certain (common and seemingly safe to use) keywords.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Stable diffusion locally installed with a browser-based GUI. Then download AI models, Loras ("extensions" that are trained for special purposes, such as a particular actor or a style like pixel art), and embeddings (simple keyword based extensions, I believe) from https://civitai.com/

Setting up a local installation may be super simple to quite complex, depending on your skill level and the approach used.

Here is a good article:

For example, a very simple artist-friendly approach is to install Krita on your Mac
(which is the brilliant open source and free digital painting app)

and then simply install a free plugin:

And Presto: you have Photoshop's "Generative Fill/Expand" for free and without any limitations in terms of content. And far more controllable! And better quality. And super easy to use within a professional digital painting app. All for free!

The genAI community hub right now seems to be https://civitai.com/
That's where I downloaded many different models.
Interesting stuff!

I downloaded Diffusion Bee in the first link, and then tried downloading a model from the Civitai website, gave me a big error message. The Diffusion Bee says the extension is supported. Is Diffusion Bee maybe a more basic app and something more extensive is needed?

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 2.51.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 2.53.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 2.53.04 PM.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 23

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
It looks like you tried installing a diffusion checkpoint that is unsupported by Bee. Avoid an XL diffusion model, and try a checkpoint such as Realistic Vision or DreamShaper. PS I have no experience with Bee myself.

Also try the Krita plugin: I haven't experienced issues with that one. Simple to install and the plugin automates the download of the most important AI models, so you can get started after a few minutes.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
It looks like you tried installing a diffusion checkpoint that is unsupported by Bee. Avoid an XL diffusion model, and try a checkpoint such as Realistic Vision or DreamShaper. PS I have no experience with Bee myself.

Also try the Krita plugin: I haven't experienced issues with that one. Simple to install and the plugin automates the download of the most important AI models, so you can get started after a few minutes.
So I installed Krita and the plugin for AI. I have a connection error that I can't figure out. In the video I watched about installing this there was zero issues with this. I went into config but have no clue what I am looking for. Any thoughts?

**edit, never mind I got it figured out!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 9.06.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 9.06.51 AM.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Herbert123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.