Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninktheone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Hi guys!

I have a problem with my thunderbolt display. A problem which I thought was an easy-fix, but it's definitely not. There's a humming sound from my Thunderbolt display when it's connected to my Macbook Pro 2012. I thought it just needed some cleaning, but as shown in the video i found it not to be the fan but completely different instead, and I have no clue on how to fix it!

Problem: Loud humming sound

I separated the monitor:
tb.jpg

Listened for the sound
tb2.jpg

and found it to be THIS GUY!!:
tb3.jpg

Video of it all:

I tried vacuuming everything possible with no results. So my question to you guys:

what do I do now?
Is it unfixable?
Is there a way to clean it (if cleaning is the problem)?
Can it be replaced, and if so: how?

10 dollars bank transfer to the one who helps me fix my problem (It's not much, but it's somethin!)

regards

Last edited:

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Be careful! Most likely there's A.C. right on that component or near it. Don't mess with AC! It really hurts (like weeks to recover), and of course worse than just pain could occur!

It's a power supply component - an inductor or transformer. Given the magnitude of the sound, it's likely damaged beyond repair.

It's going to be difficult to source and replace that single part. You should look for a replacement power supply. Perhaps one is available on ebay for cheap. Then it's just a matter of swapping it in. Check to see if there are connectors on the other ends of the wires. Otherwise it's going to be hard to replace too unless you are skilled at soldering.

Any further work should be done with the power not just off but disconnected! Leave it disconnected overnight before touching it. Even then, try not to touch the electrical components as high voltages may be stored on capacitors on the board.

Otherwise, as you know, you will have to go to an Apple authorized repair center. Given the fact that you are playing with this board while it's powered on, that might be a good idea.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.